There's fun in the sun all summer long

Parks and Recreation Department offers movies, art fairs, and music

As the dog days of summer drag on, and the infamous southern Indiana humidity rises, you may find the temptation to kick back in your La-Z-Boy, soak up the air conditioning and catch up on cable television's brain-draining smorgasbord of entertainment nearly impossible to resist. But a summer spent in Bloomington without enjoying her considerable natural resources is a summer wasted indeed, and the Parks and Recreation Department has prepared a tempting array of free entertainment that will keep your weekends booked from now until the leaves begin to turn.\nThursdays\n"Evening With the Stars" Movie Series -- 9 p.m., Bryan Park Pool\nBringing the seemingly incongruous worlds of swimming and classic cinema together, the Evening With the Stars series is held every week in Bryan Park Pool, 1100 S. Woodlawn Ave. You can take in the movie as you float, or for those who prefer to remain dry, the deck is available as well. The films are appropriate for the whole family, although some may carry a 'PG' rating. Upcoming showings include Preston Sturges' classic comedy "Sullivan's Travels" (1942) and Alfred Hitchcock's voyeuristic thriller "Rear Window" (1954). Call 349-3700 to get a complete listing of films.\nFridays\nPerforming Arts Series -- 7 - 8:30 p.m., Third Street Park.\nFor entertainment of a more musical bent, look no further than Third Street Park Fridays for an eclectic selection of live performers. This Friday (June 29), local Afropop band Afro-Hoosier International will be taking the stage. The unique group is comprised of nine members encompassing various races, both genders, and ages from 22 to 58 years old.\n"We like to play African popular music -- the kind of pop music you hear on radios and night clubs in African cities. It's dancing music," said Bob Port, a professor of linguistics and computer science at IU and a member of the group. "It represents a lot of different styles from different parts of Africa."\nFuture Friday night attractions include the Monika Herzig Acoustic Project (July 6) and Blues Underground (July 27). The summer is capped off with the Monroe County Civic Theatre's production of "The Merchant of Venice" (August 10 -11 & 17-18).\nSaturdays\n"A Fair of the Arts" -- 8 a.m. - 2 p.m., July 14, Aug. 11 and Sept. 8, Showers Common.\nThe Farmers' Market in Showers Common is already a Bloomington fixture, and on the second Saturdays of the month this summer, it will be supplemented by A Fair of the Arts, an event that allows local and area artists to showcase their work and peddle their wares. Parks Department's Community Events Specialist, Leslie Kaiser, said there will be about 24 booths and art vendors at the next fair. The arts and crafts for sale include candles, watercolor paintings, photos and mosaic work. Find the perfect knick-knack for your apartment or just take in the handiwork. Musical accompaniment July 14 will be provided by Lauren Lain Powell and Blaq Lily.\nSundays\nPerforming Arts Series -- 6:30 - 8 p.m, Ninth Street Park and Bryan Park.\nThere's another night of music on Sundays, starting in Ninth Street Park (Ninth & Fairview) for the first two weeks in July before moving to Bryan Park for the rest of the summer.