The brains behind the brew

Educated beer drinkers are everywhere in Bloomington, but a much smaller number are actually educated about beer. Beer is a complex drink that comes in many styles and flavors. It is more than a quick way to get drunk. Big Red Liquors will help the community experience beer at its Ninth Annual Big Red Liquors Beer Festival today and tomorrow.\nNine years ago, Big Red was a small business. Creating the Beer Fest was a simple way for people to sample what the store had to offer.\n"Big Red has always had a big selection of imports and micro brews," says Philisha Nobis, director of Big Red Liquors public relations. "We needed a way to showcase all of the things we carry."\nBig Red's festival lasts two days. For an entrance fee customers can sample all of the beers exhibited for a three-hour period. Each customer gets a small glass for tasting. \nSince it began, this has become one of the premiere beer festivals in the region. Big Red expects to have more than 200 brews this year that range from popular to obscure. Nobis sees the event as a way to reach beyond customer's regular choices of beer.\n"We get those who only like Coors Light. Then they find something new and leave liking three beers instead of one," Nobis says.\nYogi's Grill and Bar manager Andrew Stamper says that many young (inexperienced) student drinkers want to get drunk, but drinking beer doesn't have to mean over-indulging.\n"It's good to get beer that is more than what gets you drunk," Stamper says. "A fair amount (of attendees) get a better appreciation and a knowledge of flavors and styles. It has all the beers you've heard of and seen and you can find a new favorite."\nStamper also intends to educate himself while at the festival. Stamper, who likes hoppy beers with lots of flavor, has been to the festival twice. He says he asks many questions to find out how the beer is brewed. Big Red's Web site (www.bigredliquors.com) provides a glossary of more than 100 beer terms. They are a small indication as to the complexity of brewing and judging beer. The terms are OK to read but only tasting will help you know about beer.\nBrewers and distributors come from around the country as well as from here in Bloomington. Experts such as Ed Herrmann, head brewer of the Upland Brewing Company, will help educate consumers. He says that although the basic categories of beer are ale and lager, the blend of ingredients gives distinctive flavors. He calls Upland's Porter a bitter chocolate flavor with a honey-like finish; the Wiezen, fruity with the spiciness of cloves; while the Whit is sour yet thirst-quenching. None of the beers contain chocolate or cloves but the science behind the yeast and hops make that flavor possible.\n"We maintain our yeast in-house. It is very much like a microbiology lab," Herrmann, who studied biology at IU, says. "We are very scientific about our yeast cultures."\nUpland is also using the event to introduce a new beer. They will unveil its Maibock, a German spring beer, on a horse-drawn cart. Upland will also host Maifest, an all-day beer event on Saturday at its restaurant. They will drive the horse cart around town to selected bars that will offer Maibock. German food and a polka band will cap off the celebration of Upland's new beverage. \nOther countries' beer styles will also be available to sample, including Belgian and English styles.\nFirst-time festival attendee and senior Anya Guest says she was introduced to different types of beer while studying in Prague. She says she likes beers that are stronger than American beers and that her favorite, Velvet, is as smooth as ice cream. \n"I had the opportunity to try East European beer and just liked the taste," Guest says.\nGuest says her brother told her about the festival and she's eager to go this year.\nMandy Smith, a senior, expects to have as many as 30 people her go with her this year, an increase from 10 last year. She goes to the festival because she likes the variety. Nobis says people have called as much as three months in advance to find exact information about the event. \nThe festival is held at the Monroe County Convention Center. Stamper believes that this gives the event an enhanced since of credibility.\n"It's a festival, an organized event," Stamper says. "I think it is perceived as professional."\nSome have complained that the event is too short at three hours or that the glass each attendee uses is too small. The goal of the event is to allow people to taste a wide variety of beer and to pick up a few new favorites. All of the brewery representatives are allowed to come without paying an entry fee, which makes it accessible to many.\nBig groups and vast quantities of beer bring out the entire Bloomington community. Nobis estimates that the crowd's age ranges from 21 to 75 and that 1,200 people will attend. She adds that because many students are not 21, they will scrutinize all identification.\n"We want people who enjoy to be responsible," Nobis says.\nThe Ninth Annual Big Red Beer Festival will take place today and tomorrow from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Monroe County Convention Center. Today's event is $25 dollars. Advance Friday tickets are $25 dollars or $30 the day of the event. All proceeds will be donated to Wonderlab, The Museum of Science and Technology.