Team drops 2 against top 20 teams

Wrestlers learn from losses to Ohio State, Michigan state

The Hoosiers dropped two tough matches this weekend losing to Ohio State Friday and handing a tough match to Michigan State Sunday.\nThe No. 2 Buckeyes defeated the Hoosiers 34-7. IU (8-7, 0-3) recorded only two victories over Ohio State (17-2, 2-1) on the day. Senior Viktor Sveda recorded a major decision and junior Greg Schaefer also had a win.\n"They're powerful," Sveda said. "We just wanted everyone to wrestle hard. We need to analyze some tapes and have everyone improve a little bit."\nFreshman Pat DeGain lost a close bout as did sophomore Coyte Cooper. The first seven wrestlers for Ohio State were all ranked in the top 20 individually.\nDespite the set back, head coach Duane Goldman was happy with the way his team performed.\n"I wanted every guy to go out there and wrestle their best," Goldman said after the match on Friday. "Virtually, every guy did that. We need to come back on Sunday and compete well again."\nOn Sunday, the Hoosiers took on No. 17 Michigan State. Two seconds of riding time and a close call hurt the Hoosiers in their bid for their first Big Ten win of the season. IU lost the match 21-16.\nIU (8-8, 0-4) claimed four victories in the match. Sveda started the wins with a pin in the third match of the day. DeGain followed that up with an overtime victory. Senior Brian Smiley and Cooper recorded the other two victories.\n"I've had some time off to regroup and focus," Smiley said. "I picked it up today. It was good for me to get a win."\nThe turning point of the match may have come in the sixth bout of the day. Schaefer fell 2-3 to Chris Williams of MSU. A close non-call at the end of the match would have either given Schaefer the victory or sent the match into overtime. \nBy exceeding one minute of riding time with 1:01, Williams claimed the extra point and the victory. A Schaefer win would have given the Hoosiers the win for the day.\n"I thought we wrestled very well today," Goldman said. "There are certain factors in athletics that you can't overcome. That happened today."\nThough unable to come up with the win, the Hoosiers remain optimistic heading in to next week.\n"My match today was a confidence booster after coming off a loss the other night," DeGain said. "We had an excellent effort this weekend. Both of the teams are ranked. If a couple of close calls go our way, we win. It was a good confidence boost for Purdue."\nThe Hoosiers return to action this Thursday against Purdue at Evansville Harrison High School. IU will also take on Illinois at home next Sunday.