Students set up 'peace camp' in Dunn Meadow

Activists say they plan to stay 'until the U.S. aggression stops'

In reaction to the U.S. bombings of Afghanistan, several students have set up a "peace camp" in Dunn Meadow. Beginning about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, the students descended on the meadow with tents, food, a stereo, an umbrella, candles and signs with slogans like "Stop the killing" and "War is also terrorism."\n"We're staying until this blows over … until the U.S. aggression stops," freshman David Odefey said.\nThe peace camp is being maintained by the members of Students for a Non-Violent Solution, an IU group created in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Members of the Bloomington Peace Action Coalition, a local umbrella group for several political groups, is also participating.\nAfter a meeting last night, the group decided to set up the camp. First they held a vigil by the Showalter Fountain as people were leaving the Auditorium after seeing Rent. They then marched to Dunn Meadow to set up camp.\n"We were all thinking about how best to respond (to the bombings)," Odefey said. "It was time for a bold response."\nAlthough the group did not inform the University of their intention to set up in Dunn Meadow, Assistant Dean of Students Jim Gibson said the peace camp is permitted, as the meadow is the designated spot for free speech expression on campus.\n"They can stay there as long as they want," he said. Gibson added that while overnight camping isn't allowed in Dunn Meadow, the students can stay overnight if they are holding a vigil or something similar. \nSome activities related to the installation of Sharon Brehm as Bloomington chancellor are scheduled to take place in Dunn Meadow Wednesday. Gibson said the area is large enough that both events can take place and that the possibility of a demonstration like this taking place is a fact of life when a group wants to rent the campus' designated space for free speech activity.\nAs students walk by the peace camp, members of the group offer them literature about their position on the "war against terrorism" and offer green ribbons and armbands signifying peace. Supporters of the group also added green peace armbands to the statue of Herman B Wells on the Old Crescent and to the Venus and fish statues of the Showalter Fountain. \nJames Bourke, a freshman, said the response to the peace camp has been "about 75 percent positive." Group members spread out the time spent holding down camp and supporters have stopped by to drop off food. Bloomington resident Sean "Steps to Freedom" Bagley thanked passers-by who are against the group's views for their reactions to the peace camp.\n"The people who disagree with us have been very respectful," he said.\nSince the group plans to stay put for the foreseeable future the tents are equipped with blankets and comforters; the group is working on how to bring in heating. Bourke said they were prepared to face the possibility of continuing the peace camp in the snow.\n"We'll warm up with lots of layers and probably make snow angels," he said. \nSophomore Jana Johnston was just walking by when she noticed the peace camp, but she hopes to become involved in Students for a Non-Violent Solution and would "love" to spend the night at the camp.\n"It's awesome that someone is taking action for what they believe," she said.