Students get involved in celebration

Day offers variety of projects, opportunities

Bloomington residents can partake in the 2002 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration by becoming involved in any of the numerous volunteer activities occurring around the city. \nThese events stem from Bloomington's Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Celebration Commission. According to the City of Bloomington's Web site, "The commission is dedicated to raising community awareness about the philosophy, teachings and contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr." \nThe day has been named "A Day On! Not a Day Off 2002" to reach out to the community in an attempt to get people involved. More than 700 volunteers will be working citywide, helping out and organizing activities for anyone from infants to the elderly, Craig Brenner, Bloomington special projects coordinator, said.\nIU students are also getting involved.\n"It's very hard not to be impressed by our students and the (efforts) they take to contribute their time and talents," Bill Stephens, IU vice president for public affairs and government relations, said. "This is a unique opportunity to stop and reflect, and this shows the caliber of our student body." \nA group from IU's Christian Student Fellowship will be assisting in renovating a house by cleaning, painting and removing the carpet. Many local volunteers are needed.\n"We're happy that the celebration is receiving as much involvement as it is from IU students," Brenner said. "Instead of using it as a day off, they can use it as a day to help out the community." \nBloomington Transit will offer free rides for student volunteers going to and from their projects.\nTo conclude the events Monday, the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Avenue, will be hosting the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Evening Celebration. The celebration will begin at 7 p.m. and will be followed by a reception. With over 600 seats, theater is expected to reach capacity. The IU African American Choral Ensemble and the University School's Children Choir will perform. Bloomington Mayor John Fernandez, IU President Myles Brand and Monroe Country Commissioner Brian O'Neil will speak. The IU Student Activities Office will recognize those people who made the day and evening possible. Also presented will be the winner of the 2002 Web page design contest -- the theme is "Celebrating Dr. King's Legacy: Creating the Beloved Community." \nThe night is highlighted with a speech from the keynote speaker, Rev. Dr. Thomas Brown, and will be concluded with a benediction by Rabbi Mira Wasserman of Congregation Beth Shalom. \n"'A Day on! Not a Day Off' is a fitting tribute to Dr. King's efforts to bring our communities together," Fernandez said in a press release. "I'm proud to be a part of a community with so many agencies focusing on making their neighborhoods better"