Spurrier introduces his style to 'Skins

ASHBURN, Va. -- Steve Spurrier took the field in chilling fog and drizzle Tuesday for his first practice as an NFL coach. The Fun 'N' Gun is definitely not in Florida any more.\n"Sort of like playing golf in Ireland," said Spurrier, who exchanged his trademark visor for a black baseball cap because of the weather.\nThe Washington Redskins' three-day, non-contact minicamp is a chance for the new coach to get to know his players and learn the feel of coaching in the big leagues, but the first practices skipped the preamble and went straight to Chapter One.\n"We put in -- gosh -- more plays in one meeting than I've ever seen in any offense," quarterback Danny Wuerffel said. "I was thinking, 'How would these guys adjust to this?' You go to another team, and you'll spend a week on three plays and you'll run them over and over. We've got just about the entire playbook in one meeting."\nAt least Wuerffel was familiar with it all, having won the Heisman Trophy playing for Spurrier at Florida. Spurrier has signed other former Gators -- Jacquez Green, Reidel Anthony and Chris Doering -- and it wasn't hard to tell who understood what was happening and who didn't.\nReceiver Rod Gardner completely misunderstood an audible call and ran the wrong route on the first play in the morning's final drill. Gardner heard what he did wrong from both Green and Spurrier when he got back to the huddle.\n"There's a lot of stuff," said Spurrier, who left Florida in January to sign a five-year, $25 million contract with the Redskins. "Yeah, I sort of believe you give the players a whole bunch of stuff so they don't get bored."\nAs expected, Spurrier spent his entire time with the offense, leaving defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis in charge of the defense. There were no tantrums or heavy lectures, just a reminder to the players to have fun.\nWuerffel said Spurrier hasn't changed since the Florida days.\n"Not really a lick," Wuerffel said. "He's just a ball coach. That's what he wants to be, and that's what he's doing. He's in there just drawing plays up there on the board, and we're learning them."\nAbout 50 players were on the field, but depth was lacking at many positions. The first-string guards were Alex Sulfsted and Ross Tucker, who have just three games of NFL experience between them. The team is negotiating with free-agent guard Tony Semple, who visited Redskin Park last week.\nThe first-team quarterback was Sage Rosenfels, a second-year player and the only holdover quarterback from last year's team. Even so, he actually looked much sharper than the Spurrier-savvy Wuerffel, who wore gloves.\nDameyune Craig was the third quarterback in camp. The Redskins have been unable to work out a trade with Chicago for ex-Florida quarterback Shane Matthews, and free agent Jeff Blake didn't accept Washington's initial offer and is considering other options.\n"If opening day was tomorrow, we'd be able to go play," Spurrier said. "I don't know how well we'd do, but we got enough ball players (that) after one day we could go play. That's how simple this offense is…We don't need five exhibition games to be ready, but unfortunately we've got to play all of them"