Recruits hoop it up at first practice

Sean May has a knack for dodging questions about where he will play college basketball next season, but early Saturday morning at IU's Midnight Madness, the Bloomington High School North star couldn't escape.\nInstead, May heard chants and cheers directed at him, then read a series of signs and posters -- all attempting to convince May to follow his father, Scott May and older brother, Scott May Jr., to IU -- scattered around Assembly Hall.\nMay's reaction -- his head buried in his hands or arms folded across his chest -- mirrored his laid-back and tight-lipped approach to announcing where he will end up next fall. \n"It's a great feeling," May said as fans sitting across the floor unfurled a banner reading "We want 48 months of May." "I've been coming to (Midnight Madness) for a while, and it's exciting."\nMay has company on this late-night trip. Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland, who have committed to IU, sat with May and a group of friends behind the men's team bench. Wright, who committed to IU early last month, and Strickland, who settled on the Hoosiers in July, are doing their part to ensure IU fans get their wish that May plays for the Hoosiers. \n"Both of us are working hard," Strickland said with a grin. \n"I think he's going to come (to IU)," said Wright, who sported a red IU sweatshirt. "I really do."\nMay said he's narrowed his choices to IU, Louisville and North Carolina. The 6-foot-8 forward who averaged 23.4 points, 13.6 rebounds and two blocks per game last season has visited all three schools. May's most recent visit was a trip to North Carolina about a week ago. May visited Notre Dame in September but ruled out the Fighting Irish. \nMay said he expects to make a decision next month and plans to use the time between now and then to talk with his family about the decision. May's decision to attend IU's Midnight Madness rather than those at Louisville and UNC was one of geography and convenience. \n"I am at home, and I knew Bracey and Marshall were going to come," May said. "This is my first opportunity to meet Marshall." \nStrickland and Wright, who arrived in Bloomington Friday, had made previous trips to IU to meet the team and coach Mike Davis and see the campus. Strickland indicated his second impression is better than his first, saying he "likes it better now than in the summer."\nThe presence of students and a horde of red-and-white-clad Hoosier fans in a nearly filled Assembly Hall affected both Strickland and Wright. \n"It's crazy," Wright said. "I'm loving it." \nStrickland trailed off in mid-sentence, his eyes slowly moving toward the five national championship banners hanging on the south end of the court. \n"The fans here are serious," Strickland said. "That's something I really like. I was (in Assembly Hall) before, but it wasn't full. This is a totally different atmosphere. I'm real excited." \nStrickland, a 6-foot-1 point guard, will return this season to South Carroll High School in Maryland, where he averaged more than 30 points and four assists per game last season. There were questions surrounding Strickland's decision after it was rumored he would not be granted another year of eligibility. \nStrickland attended Winchendon (Mass.) Academy his freshman and sophomore years before enrolling for about one month at Thayer Academy. The time spent at Thayer muddled Strickland's eligibility. Strickland said he expects to play point guard at IU next season and will run the point for South Carroll this season. \nThe 6-foot-4 Wright said he will play both inside and outside at The Colony, Texas, where he scored 21.6 points per game and grabbed 6.1 rebounds per contest last season. \n"I'm going to work on my rebounding more," Wright said of his plans for his final high school season. "And I'm the biggest guy on the team, so I have to play inside, but that's something I like to do."\nWright and Strickland, who signed autographs and received a warm ovation when they emerged with May onto the Assembly Hall floor just before midnight, said they can't wait to make their Hoosier debuts. \n"There's so much energy," Wright said. "I'm as anxious as I can be"