Questions remain after first half of season

The All Star break is upon us fans of Major League Baseball, meaning the season is a little more than halfway home. So, with that in mind, it is time to reflect on what we have seen in the previous few months, and what may be to come as the season winds down to a close.\n1) The Next Great Home Run Race? Back in 1998, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were busy chasing each other and Roger Maris, in efforts to break the record for most home runs in a season since 1961. Well, by the end of the season, both McGwire and Sosa had passed up 61, with McGwire finishing on 70 and Sosa 66. While this is the era of the long ball more than any other, most thought that McGwire's record would last for a while. Right now, its looking like it might not even make it 5 years.\nBarry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants and Luis Gonzalez of the Arizona Diamondbacks are doing their best McGwire and Sosa imitation, with a staggering amount of home runs by the break. Going into Sunday's action, Bonds had 39 home runs, and Gonzalez had 35 home runs. At this point in the season, McGwire had 37 home runs. Can either Bonds or Gonzalez break the record? The feeling here is that Gonzalez probably can't maintain his pace, but Bonds just might be able to give it a run.\n2) Surprise Division Leaders. Back at the finish of last season, three of the four worst records in baseball belonged to the Minnesota Twins, Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies. Most predicted all three teams would finish up this season pretty much in the same place as last year. Yet, a funny thing happened on their way to a last place finish, all three teams are leading their division going into the break. That's right. All three teams are on top in their division. While the Phillies hold a mere one game lead heading into Sunday's action, both the Twins and Cubs are four games up on second place. Depending on what happens today, the Cubs could go into the break with the best record in the National League. \nWhile it looks like the Phillies might not have enough to last the season, especially when the Braves are starting to look like themselves again, both the Cubs and the Twins just might have enough to make it through the season in first, or at least make it interesting. This is how I think the division winners and wild card teams will break down in each league; in the American League, the Red Sox will win the East, bolstered by Nomar Garciapara's return from the disabled list, the Twins will hold on to win the Central, the Mariners will maintain their giant lead in the West and the Indians will win the wild card by a game over the Yankees. In the National League, the Braves will win the East over the slumping Phillies, the Cubs will finally start hitting the ball consistently and win the Central, the Diamondbacks will win the West hands down and the Astros will win the wild card. Of course, these predictions are all taken with the understanding that moves made at the trading deadline could dramatically alter the landscape of the baseball world, which brings me to my third point.\n3) The Trading Deadline. This year, several big names could be on the move, which could spur a team on from a second place finish to the division crown, or put a team over the top from mere playoff team to World Series Champion. Most any move will probably be made with an eye toward the Mariners, who right now are looking like the team to beat, even though the Yankees have won the previous three World Series titles. The team that could have the most impact on the title hunt this year is probably the Oakland Athletics, of all teams.\nThey will influence the chase not because they will win anything, but because of who they have to trade, should they decide to. Closer Jason Isringhausen, outfielder Johnny Damon and first baseman and reigning AL MVP Jason Giambi could all have new addresses, any of whom could give a team the added boost to win it all. So keep an eye on the A's and when they might make some trades, as well as the Chicago White Sox with David Wells, the Kansas City Royals and the San Diego Padres with Woody Williams, Sterling Hitchcock and Phil Nevin. Several of these players might have a new home in a month, and could be hoisting the World Series trophy come October.