Sunday, June 16

world

Pacific Rim supports Bush, war on terrorism

SHANGHAI, China -- Pacific Rim leaders called for international cooperation with the U.S.-led battle against terrorism, but stopped short Sunday of endorsing the military campaign in Afghanistan. \nNevertheless, President Bush said he won "strong support" at the economic forum for the fight against terror on all fronts, financial, diplomatic and military. \nFollowing a two-day summit that brought Bush together with leaders from countries including China, Russia and Japan, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit issued an unprecedented statement about the unfolding world crisis, calling the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon "murderous deeds." \nBut to appease the political sensibilities of two large, mostly Muslim APEC members, Indonesia and Malaysia, the statement made no mention of the war in Afghanistan or the refusal of its hard-line Taliban rulers to hand over the chief suspect in the Sept. 11 attacks, Osama bin Laden. \n"Leaders consider the murderous deeds as well as other terrorist acts in all forms and manifestations, committed wherever, whenever and by whomsoever as a profound threat to the peace, prosperity and security of all people, of all faiths, of all nations," the statement said. \nIndonesia and Malaysia have expressed concern about the deaths of Muslim civilians in Afghanistan and have called for an end to the bombing. They fear a backlash across the Muslim world could spread instability, especially if the U.S.-led attacks continue through the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins in mid-November. \nAt that time, the situation could become "explosive," Indonesian Foreign Minister Hasan Wirayuda told reporters. Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, while opposed to the military action, said the use of ground troops was preferable to air raids because civilians are less likely to be killed by soldiers than by bombs. \nBush got backing for the military effort from Russia and China, and at a news conference Sunday following a private meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, he said he was encouraged by the overall support at the APEC forum. \n"There was a very strong support for our activities, strong support for sharing intelligence; strong support for the diplomatic front we're waging; strong support to disrupt the financial operations of the terrorists; and strong support for our military operations in Afghanistan," Bush said. \nPutin said the military campaign should continue until Afghanistan's Taliban militia is defeated, adding that "otherwise terrorists will feel invincible." \nAfter a meeting with Chinese President Jiang Zemin on Saturday, Putin's spokesman had said the two agreed that military operations should stop quickly so a political solution can be found in Afghanistan.