New district lines to be drawn

City might switch from 'Bloody Eighth' to 9th congressional district

Indiana House Democrats presented their redistricting maps Monday, and it's almost certain that Bloomington will fall into the 9th congressional district by the 2002 election.\nUnder state and federal law, the General Assembly is required to redraw its legislative maps every 10 years. As a result of population shifts shown by last year's census, Indiana loses one of its 10 congressional seats. \nFreshman Rep. Brian Kerns, R-7th, is out of luck -- lawmakers eliminated his district, carving it up adjoining districts.\n"The challenge facing the legislature was with the loss of a congressional seat," House Democrat Caucus spokesman John Schorg said. "The districts all reflect similar interests and meet census guidelines." \nWhile redistricting is a political issue, Democrats have the upper hand with control of both the House and the governor's office. Unless they reach an compromise with the GOP-controlled Senate, final authority would go to a commission stacked with Democrats.\nDemocrats sought to create districts with about 675,000 residents a piece. The proposed districts deviate from that figure by less than 1 percent in all instances.\nUnder the proposal, Rep. Baron Hill, D-9th, would serve as Bloomington's new congressman, assuming he's elected to a third term. Until the 1992 election, Bloomington had been split between the 8th and 9th districts. It's since fallen solidly into the 8th district -- known as the "Bloody Eighth" for its hard-fought elections -- along with most of Monroe County.\n"It gives us a dynamic district with a solid Democrat incumbent," said Frank McCloskey, a former congressman who was unseated in 1992 by Republican John Hostettler, who now represents Bloomington and the 8th district. "We no longer have to work to oust a congressman who's too the far right of his party."\nThe "Bloody Eighth" has traditionally been a swing district, with Democratic strongholds in Evansville and Bloomington. A longtime party activist, McCloskey doesn't think his party is giving up on the seat. The district now extends further north than it ever has, including such working-class counties as Vigo. \n"They took Bloomington out, but they put Terre Haute in," he said. "They're adding Democratic votes."\nHostettler's office hasn't had enough time to look at the proposed redistricting, but his camp isn't taking anything for granted.\n"We'll see how it adds up in terms of demographics and population growth," said Hostettler's Washington spokesman, Michael Jahr. "But we wouldn't say the district's now a Republican stronghold. We'll be watching the process very intently."\nMcCloskey said shifting Bloomington to the southeastern 9th district would also help shore up support for Hill, who narrowly won reelection last fall.\nBut Hill isn't holding his breath.\n"As a former state legislator, I know one shouldn't consider anything at the State House final until the General Assembly adjourns," he said in a statement. "And I look forward to serving whatever portion of southern Indiana the legislature deems appropriate"