Music school finalists named

Interim dean among 4 candidates competing for school's top spot

The search for a permanent School of Music dean has been narrowed to four finalists -- one from within the University and three from the outside.\nInterim music school Dean Gwyn Richards, along with James Forger, Michigan State University School of Music director; Jeffrey Babcock, chief executive officer and general director of the Boston Ballet; and Jeffrey Kimpton, University of Minnesota School of Music director, have been named finalists by a search committee made up of faculty, students and staff.\nRichards replaced David Woods as dean following Woods' resignation in December 1999. Woods told the IDS that he thought it was best to leave his position because of turmoil within the school.\nEach of the four candidates have already visited the University for two days of interviews, said professor John Rommel, who co-chairs the committee. The last finalist completed his visit Wednesday.\nCandidates met with faculty, staff and students and had short meetings with Chancellor Kenneth Gros Louis and Vice Chancellor and Dean for Budgetary Administration and Planning Maynard Thompson, as well as School of Music alumni and other friends of the school, Rommel said.\n"We tried to cover the gamut of constituency groups the music school has," Rommel said. \nThe search committee will meet Friday, and while no timeline has been set on the decision, Rommell said he hopes the committee will be able to make a recommendation to Gros Louis as soon as possible.\nGros Louis said he had met with the candidates for a brief informational session and will spend more time with the finalists at a later date.\nRommel said the committee is looking for a candidate who does "virtually everything." \n"I think what we're looking for is someone with great vision artistically to lead the School of Music into the future, as well as someone with a fiscal vision who can secure the future financially of the school," he said. "We're looking for people who've had experience in both of those areas, and obviously someone who has excellent relationships with students, faculty and staff -- all of the people they work with in their current positions."\nThe committee's final recommendation will be forwarded to Gros Louis, and University spokeswoman Susan Dillman said President Brand is being regularly updated on the search.