Mother Nature gives team a chance

Break gives Hoosiers chance to get games in, improve record

The IU softball team got what it wanted over spring break: A chance to play. Prior to heading to the Hedrick's Hallowell Chevrolet Classic at Fresno State March 7, the Hoosiers had played only five of their 13 scheduled games because inclement weather.\nBut the Hoosiers got in all of their scheduled games during break, as they went 5-7 in 12 games, to improve their overall record to 6-10-1.\n"It has been good for us offensively to play the 12 games we have been able to play," coach Diane Stephenson said of the Hoosiers gaining game experience. "That has definitely helped us offensively, but defensively we need to get a lot sharper and take care of the ball."\nIU struggled to a 1-5 record at the Hedrick's Hallowell Chevrolet Classic after losing two games by a 2-1 score to Cal-Poly and San Diego State March 7. The Hoosiers dropped two more to Tennessee Tech and Baylor by margins of 10-3 and 6-2, respectively, March 8. IU defeated Boston 5-4 then fell to host, No. 10 Fresno State 9-0 March 9.\nThe Hoosiers returned to action with a doubleheader at Bradley March 13. IU posted a pair of victories by scores of 8-5 and 3-0. Freshman pitcher Katie Witham picked up her first career victory and shutout in the second game, allowing just six hits and striking out two batters.\nIn the Hoosiers Invitational, IU played host to Northern Illinois and Ball State March 16 and 17. In their first game, the Hoosiers were a half inning away from their third straight victory as they led Ball State 3-1. But the Cardinals scored five runs in the top half of the seventh to defeat IU 6-3.\nIn their second game Saturday, the Hoosiers had an eight-run fifth inning to post a 12-4 victory over Northern Illinois. Junior Stormy Hanson hit her second home run in as many games. She also collected a single, had three runs batted in and scored two runs to lead the offense. Sophomore Abby Stark had three doubles, with three RBI and two runs scored.\nSwinging a hot bat, Hanson improved her average from .312 to .455 and picked up eight RBIs over the 12 games.\n"I am seeing the ball really well, and I am real confident in my swing," Hanson said of her streak. "I am getting good pitches in the one spot (in the batting order), and I am happy to be helping our team out."\nYesterday, the Hoosiers took on Northern Illinois again but fell behind 9-0 going into the bottom of the fourth inning. IU scored three runs in the fourth and fifth and two more in the seventh, but it wasn't enough, as the Huskies prevailed 10-8. The Huskies touched IU sophomore pitcher Heather Stillians for seven runs in three innings, including three home runs.\nStillians returned to the mound in the Hoosiers afternoon battle with Ball State. In seven strong innings, Stillians allowed just four hits and two earned runs while collecting three strikeouts. Stillians also contributed three hits in the game.\nStillians said she wanted to rebound from her disappointing morning performance in the Ball State contest.\n"It helps a lot to know that I can be able to bounce back," she said. "It is a big part of your mental game to be able to come back from getting hit around. I wanted the ball (against Ball State) and that's a good thing, because I wanted to redeem myself."\nThe Hoosier bats took care of the rest, including a five-run sixth inning to get an 8-3 victory. Stark, freshman Ashley Griffiths and senior Brooke Monroe each chipped in with two RBI. Monroe had two hits in the game, one was her third home run of the season.\nIU returns to action Wednesday when it travels to Evansville for a doubleheader at 4 p.m.