Man wounded in shootout with deputies

A Bloomington man faces charges of attempted murder after two sheriff's deputies were shot at late Wednesday night. Police returned fire during the standoff, and a sheriff's deputy shot the man they say was shooting at them.\n Around 11 p.m. Wednesday, a neighbor called the sheriff's department to report shooting coming from the area of 2900 W. Vernal Pike, police reports said. \n The police report gave the following account of the incident:\n Shots were fired at her Officer Beverly McKnight's car when she arrived at the scene to investigate. \n After McKnight's urgent call that shots had been fired, three more officers reported to the scene, including Sgt. Jeff Brahaum, who became pinned down behind his car. He shot back at the shooter. \n Sgt. Chuck Wilson said the shooter was using two firearms, a .22 Magnum handgun and a 30-06 rifle which he fired several times. The standoff took place between the man's residence and the street, where the officers were positioned behind their cars. \n Wilson said the shooter "was in the garage and then he would step out of the garage and into the breezeway ... fire and step back into the garage." \n Steven Brummett, 47, resident of 3030 W. Vernal Pike, was shot in the stomach and taken to Bloomington Hospital. Brummett is under arrest and is being held at Bloomington Hospital. He is being held on preliminary charges of attempted murder and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. Hospital officials declined to release information on Brummett's condition at his request. \n No officers were injured, but Deputy Troy Thomas said Brahaum's squad car was shot during the exchange. Brahaum was the only officer to fire his weapon.\n The Bloomington Police Department also responded and helped control traffic. A portion of Vernal Pike was closed after the police arrived on the scene and reopened to traffic at about 4 am. \nThis is the first shooting involving a Monroe County Sheriff's deputy since 1988.