Lotus fest carries on despite troubles

Despite setbacks, Lotus Festival begins tonight

Lee Williams is exhausted. After months of planning the Eighth Annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival, booking bands, arranging venues and transportation and ticket sales, his efforts were jeopardized when four terrorist hijackings grounded flights nationwide last week.\nFor a world music festival that is largely comprised of artists traveling from overseas, that's a problem. But by Sunday, Williams, the festival's executive director, was laughing. The show is going on.\nBands have canceled and the schedule has changed, but the Lotus Festival will kick off tonight and 25 of the 32 original artists are still expected to play at the five-day event. \nWilliams said he is amazed at the dedication of the performers, many of whom had to go to a great deal of trouble to make it to Bloomington.\n"That's the human spirit that you hear about," Williams said. "These are vivid examples of what people will do under extraordinary circumstances to continue on with life. People will rise above these kinds of tragic events."\nThe hardest-hit events scheduled are the special Wednesday and Thursday night concerts. Tonight's kick-off concert will now feature Habib Koite and his band, Bamada from Mali. Koite was on tour in the U.S. when the attacks hit last Tuesday and was able to get to Bloomington in time for the show. \nThe original lineup of Paris Combo (from France) and the Gangbe Brass Band (from Africa) were unable to travel overseas. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. tonight at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. There is a $5 suggested donation at the door.\nThe Celtic concert originally scheduled for Thursday night has been canceled. Several of the featured artists, and the emcee, National Public Radio host Fiona Ritchie, were unable to travel to the United States. Refunds will be available at the Buskirk-Chumley Thursday night from 5-8 p.m. Still scheduled for Thursday night is "Storm Over Asia," a 1928 silent film with live accompaniment by Tuvan band Yat-Kha.\nThe bulk of the festival -- Friday and Saturday's artist showcase concerts -- have also been altered by transportation problems. Williams has been rescheduling the acts as he determines who is available and said he hopes to have a revised schedule ready by tonight's first concert.\nThe festival has proven resilient, despite last week's emotional and logistical headaches. Williams attributes the success to the dedication of the performers and Lotus' volunteer staff.\n"There are so many great people in this organization; all the volunteers are excited," he said. "Everyone has so much energy and commitment to the project and we have so much positive spirit. \nI can't wait to experience the joy of all these people coming downtown and celebrating life and music. We're going to have a great festival and we're just going to focus on what we have."\nSee Thursday's IDS Weekend for more info on Lotus Festival.