Letters to the Editor

Protesters should make sure they are taking action I am an IU student, and I would like to protest the bombing of Afghanistan, like many of my peers. But I have one problem. I can't find a style of protest that I think will send the strongest message to fellow students, the government and the rest of the people of the United States. So, I thought that maybe the IDS and its readers could help me decide which course of action to choose. I have a few possibilities. Choice No. 1: It is decidedly political. Make a petition to pass around to my fellow students that states that we, as peace loving Americans, do not support the violent actions of the United States and encourage and entreat the government to focus on the diplomatic, financial, and humanitarian facets of its war on terrorism. Also, Start a letter-writing campaign to Indiana, and national political leaders with the same message to show them that their constituents do not support violence. College students do vote, and these letters would show them that they could lose many votes if our concerns are not addressed. Choice No. 2: I could start a humanitarian mission supply drive. I could collect food, clothes, blankets, shelter and medicine for the refugees in Afghanistan. After all, it is almost winter there, too, and they will starve and freeze to death if they don't receive aid. This would show many people, at least the Bloomington area, that the future of our relations with Islamic countries will be dependent on not making any more desperate, hopeless radicals out of the youth of todays refugees. If we show the people of the Middle East that we care for Muslims as well as Jews, the United States would take away a major argument for Jihad. Choice No. 3: My last choice and by far the easiest. Join "Peace Camp." I will go to Dunn Meadow with my tent, hibachi grill, cooler, sleeping bag, comforter, homework, music and any other necessity and protest the violence. If I run out of food, a supporter of the protest will bring me food. If I get cold, I can sit close to my grill, wrap up in blankets, or insist that "the group" hurry up on bringing in some heat. And while I am making my "bold response" to the war on terrorism, I can play hacky sack and chant. Also, to show my disgust for violence and my support and solidarity for the Afghan refugees suffering through the winter in their desolate camp, I will make "snow angels." Joseph Heuring
Sophomore Claybourn's column on peace, pacifism hits the mark Josh Claybourn, your article "Hard to find peace in pacifism" (Oct. 9) was, to say the least, excellent! I am an older student at IU (35 to be exact) and a veteran of three wars, Grenada, Libya and Desert Storm/Shield. Needless to say, I find it extremely refreshing to see a voice of the younger generation point out the obvious and apparent difference between world reality and college reality, and, more importantly, between peace "preservers" and peace "attainers." Your scriptural analogies are well taken and appropriately used, as was the pointed example used about World War II concerning Neville Chamberlain. Again, and not to belabor the point, you touched the mind and thoughts of this reader with what I perceive (as do most Americans) as truth. Those with the college reality would do well to read this reality again! Now then, before you get "collegized," run for public office so we can vote for you! Larry Fink
Sophomore United States' solidarity unraveling all too soon I took down my American flag today. And, unfortunately, I'm going to be keeping it down. It's come to symbolize something that I can't stand. During and after those first horrible moments when the World Trade Center came crashing down onto the streets of New York City, the country was together. All of us came together and put aside our differences in order to help those unfortunates and put together a lasting unity. I hate to admit this to myself and I'm sure that you hate to hear it, but they failed. Any hopes of companionship and peace have been shattered by recent attacks sent against Afghanistan. What seemed like such a perfect state has fallen apart and been replaced by the same old intolerance. Angry whites are taking their rage out against any remotely Middle-Eastern looking person, Afghan or not. Partisan bickering has returned, pitting liberals against conservatives. The togetherness of the American family, which seemed so possible, is gone. Now, by launching a first wave of missiles and bombs into the night, we have declared war on togetherness. Jingoism and nationalism have replaced brotherhood and compassion. Whenever some politician or "man on the street" ardently supports an all-out invasion of Afghanistan, my soul cringes. I know that, for every supporter of war that insists on military action, one U.S. soldier is going to be sent to an unwelcoming land to fight, to kill, and perhaps to die for that person's rhetoric. I refuse to have the burden of responsibility of having another man's destiny in my hands. I don't want to see America's sons dying against a man who doesn't care what it takes to achieve his mad goals. I don't want to kill poverty stricken innocents via our aggression. Wars never solve anything permanently, but are quick ways to solve pains temporarily. But, unfortunately, I feel that we just might have to fight in order to raise the flag defiantly once again. Evan Ross
Freshman Chekhov said it best Having read the column by Damon Freeman ("Consider peace, not war" Sept. 26), I appreciate once again Chekhov's saying: "A university develops all abilities, including stupidity." Yuri Bregal
Professor Emeritus Central Eurasian Studies 'How many more will I lose at home?' I tried -- I really did. I tried to concentrate and do my work, but instead I find myself staring at my computer screen. I read a paragraph at least 10 times, but no hope of any of it sinking into my head. As I sit and stare in a daze, tears run down my cheeks. Memories of those I have lost in a war that only a few know about. Only a few care about. Then I think, how many more will I lose thi time? My heart is filled with pain inside, it's a silent scream that no one hears. WHY? I just want to know why? Can someone answer that? It hurts that people died in the World Trade Center, but it also hurts that people are dying in Afghanistan at this moment. Some might say, what does she know, she never lived there, she never experienced hardship. I may not have, but the pain in my parent's eyes is more than enough pain for anyone to bear. Look into their eyes, and you know. Look into any Afghan eyes and you will know. We have suffered tremendously. Lost family for centuries, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, grandparents. I am the fortunate generation that got out, trying to hold on to a heritage that is being ripped apart in a slow and agonizing persecution. Why did the world turn their backs on us? It is a question every suffering nation is asking. It's not the Taliban or the terrorists they are bombing, but rather the hearts of the Afghans around the world. Every bomb dropped is a bomb dropped in our hearts. How much can one take? Palwasha Rahmany
Junior Sports columnist not yet mature Based on avid reading of sports columnists, at various stages in my life, from the Chicago Tribune to the New York Times to the Boston Globe to the Louisville Courier-Journal, I had developed a fairly solid notion of what the job of a sports columnist was. I had always assumed that the sports columnist, through his/her access to the team in a way not normally possible for the average fan, could give the reader insightful analysis beyond the severe time-deadline reporting of game results. Jason Recker is a good writer, as evidenced in the effectiveness of his below-the-belt stomping on the football team and its coach the first three games. The North Carolina State game was a disaster -- no ifs, and, or buts. But the appropriately named Mr. Recker continued to stomp. What would be his response, I wondered after our victory in Madison? Tuesday's (10-8-01) column confirmed my suspicions that he is an adolescent not yet mature enough to take on the responsibilities of a sports commentator. All he could talk about was himself -- no apology for his past overzealous stomping on the team, just a naive conclusion that his presence in the stadium brings bad luck to IU. I don't honestly know if IU will win another game (I passionately hope it will win many!); but my greatest hope is that Mr. Recker WILL be in attendance at an IU game the day we clobber some other worthy opponent. I wonder what he will write then. James Ackerman
Professor Emeritus of Religious studies