Monday, June 17

Kappa Delta pledge class climbs walls; builds unity through encouragement

For many college students, the prospect of rising out of bed before 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday is not particularly pleasant. Fewer still would be prepared to climb up a 25-foot vertical wall soon thereafter.\nThis experience is one that was shared by the 46-member pledge class of Kappa Delta. \nLast week, the group went to Hoosier Heights for a rock climbing outing designed to build unity within the class.\n"It took them out of their element. It wasn't on campus and it made them leave their comfort zones," Heidi Marshall, vice president of New Member Education, said. "It was a new beginning for a new pledge class."\nAkin to a skiing resort, Hoosier Heights offered facilities for different skill levels. Many started on the smaller, less challenging wall, where they literally learned the ropes of climbing. Others, in an act of bravado, attempted to climb the most difficult walls.\nSome climbers found the experience of climbing to be more intimidating than they bargained for. But they said they often found that any fears were assuaged by the encouragement of their new sisters.\n"I was climbing up the wall and I was freaked out beyond belief," member Katie Martin said in a press release. "My legs were shaking and I wanted to stop, but the girls that were already up there kept telling me that I could make it even though I didn't think I could."\nThroughout the activity, teamwork and unity were emphasized. Any struggles in climbing were met with shouts of encouragement. If a climber started to fall, those on the other end of the rope pulled the line taut to halt the descent. And once a climber made it to the top of the wall, everyone would burst into cheers.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said that outdoor-oriented activities such as wall climbing are beginning to become more common in business training sessions. He is glad to see a student organization participating in such an activity.\n"I think the issue with an organization is always 'How do you integrate new members into the group?'" McKaig said. "This is an example of a progressive thing using different techniques for building unity." \nMarshall echoed the sentiments of McKaig, saying that the event was a success. \n"It turned out a lot better than I though it would," Marshall said. "They didn't know each other very well, and it showed them they had to work together and trust each other to reach a common goal"