Intramural sports begin in July

Even during summer sessions, students can participate in intramural sports sponsored by the Division of Recreational Sports. \nRegistration for two of these sports, tennis and whiffleball, takes place Tuesday and Wednesday. Participants can register at the SRSC in room 115, or at the HPER Wildermuth.\nWhiffleball teams will begin playing July 1.\n"There will be pool play; it's broken down into three weeks of pool play, and then it goes into bracket play," said Brad Logar, a graduate assistant for Intramurals. "Every team makes the playoffs."\nAssistant Director for Intramurals, Josh Downing said students have enjoyed this sport in the past.\n"This is the first time we've offered whiffleball in the summer in about five or six years," Downing said. "We're going to try it again … people have a lot of fun with it."\nDowning said he expects about 15 to 20 teams to sign up for whiffleball. The cost per team is $15.\nTennis intramurals will occur as a two-day tournament July 9 and 10 at the HPER Woodlawn courts.\n"We got a lot of responses that people want stuff that is quick, quick tournaments," Downing said. "We're going to have a two-day tournament and see how it turns out."\nThe tournament is for both singles and doubles, and the cost is $5 per person. \nDowning said both tournaments are low-key, since they are self-officiating. For tennis, participants are usually people who enjoy playing tennis once in a while or who used to play in high school. \nDonna Dvorak, who has played tennis informally since she was 10, said intramural tennis was a chance to play with new people last year.\n"I play with my husband; (I) wanted a variety of competition," Dvorak said. "I liked it because I got to play, I got to meet new people and try out different partners."\nFor more information on registering for tennis or whiffleball, students can call 855-2371 or send an e-mail to recsport@indiana.edu.