Monday, June 17

Hoosiers to face battle at Legends

Women's golf readies lineup at tourney

The Hoosiers begin play in the Legends Shootout today in Franklin, Ind., hoping to build on their fourth place finish at the Northern Invitational Sept. 23. \nThe tournament will be at the 54-hole Middle and Road nines at the Legends of Indiana Golf Club. \n"It's going to take low scores," head coach Sam Carmichael said. "It's going to take five players playing well. And for the top teams, they're going to have to be on, because there's somebody sitting right there to whoop them if you're not playing up to your game."\nCarmichael will use the results of the Northern tournament to fill in his lineup, placing sophomore Karen Dennison in the No. 1 spot, followed by sophomores Danah Ford, Mary Lidester, junior Cara Stuckey and sophomore Ambry Bishop. Senior captain Tiffany Fisher will compete as an individual in the tournament. \n"It's going to be a tough tournament, and it's going to be really competitive," Dennison said. "I think if we have a good showing, it can be a real good tournament. They'll be a lot of good teams there, though, so it'll be a really good test."\nJoining IU in the 19-team field are Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State, Illinois, Kent State, Missouri, Texas A&M, Kansas, Campbell, Wichita State, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Toledo, Iowa State and Louisville. \n"We hope to go up there and play good," Carmichael said. "It should be a good tournament. Michigan will go up there, and they beat us. Kent State will be there, and they beat us. Purdue will be there, so there are three teams that are ranked considerably higher than we are. It'll be a tough tournament for us, but hopefully we'll go up there and play well."\nThe number of strong contenders in the field leaves little room for error for the Hoosiers. At the Northern Invitational, Michigan placed first by 14 strokes and Kent State took third place, six strokes ahead of IU. Penn State, meanwhile, tied IU for fourth place. \nBut, IU's familiarity with the course works in the team's favor. Many of the Hoosiers played it during the summer at the Indiana Women's State Open. Meantime, Bishop, Ford, Stuckey and Fisher all competed on the course in last year's Legends Invitational. Bishop's father is the golf pro at the course.\n"They're all acquainted with the course, so they should have confidence playing it," Carmichael said. "It's a little bit like the Northern in that it's flat and there's nothing to stop the wind. It's a course that you can drive it a little erratically. You don't have to be quite as consistent with the driving and still be able to hit the greens fairly well." \nBishop said the team's knowledge of the course will be a factor in the tournament.\n"We're all familiar with the course," Bishop said. "As far as going into it, we know the expectations of the course and how it's going to play, so that's a benefit for us."\nAfter being idle last weekend, Carmichael said the Hoosiers have used the time off to practice the fundamentals of golf. But he said the team has placed slight emphasis on putting, after being somewhat disappointed by the team's play on the greens at the Northern. \n"I didn't putt so well last weekend and that showed in my scores," Dennison said. "If I can keep my putts down, I can keep my scores down quite a bit. We probably need four scores that are middle to low 70s. To finish in the top three in this tournament would be really, really good for us"