Hoosiers bounce back

After a tough loss to nationally ranked Notre Dame Wednesday, the women's tennis team returned to form this weekend at the IU Tennis Center, defeating Big Ten adversaries Minnesota Saturday and Wisconsin Sunday, both by a decisive 6-1 score. \nIU (13-7, 4-2 Big Ten) wasted no time making a statement against Minnesota (13-4, 2-3 Big Ten). The Hoosiers jumped out to a quick lead by grabbing the doubles point for the sixth consecutive match. In the process, IU's No. 3 doubles team of junior Amanda Field and senior Jennifer Hsia won their sixth consecutive match together.\nThe Hoosiers continued the momentum through the singles competition, winning five of the six matches. Sophomore Jessica Levin and freshman Martina Grimm won both of the competition's only three-set matches, 6-1, 1-6, 6-2 and 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 respectively.\n"This was a tough win for us," coach Lin Loring said. "We knew if we played well, we should win, but if we didn't, we would lose. Often, those are the toughest kind of matches."\nIU continued to roll in the Wisconsin (6-10, 1-3 Big Ten) matchup, winning the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches.\n"The scores are deceiving, because (Wisconsin) is a tough team," Loring said. "We played well outside, and we played smart."\nThe momentum carried IU right into the singles competition, with the Hoosiers taking five of the six matches. Senior Kelly Blanch defeated Wisconsin's April Gabler 7-5, 6-2. Field dominated the No. 2 singles matchup with Wisconsin's Vanessa Rauh winning 6-0, 6-1 and snapped a two-match losing streak in the process. Field said she did not consider herself ever to be in a slump.\n"It is always important to get a win, but this wasn't any more important than usual," Field said. "I wasn't bothered by the losses, because I've been playing really well. But it just hasn't worked out."\nWith Grimm, who's usually in the singles lineup, hindered with shin splints, Hsia stepped in at the No. 6 singles spot and substituted admirably, winning 6-0, 6-0. Primarily used solely as a doubles player during the last few matches, Hsia had no problem adjusting her role.\n "The coaches always tell me to be ready, so I was," Hsia said. "I haven't been playing singles too well, so this win was good."\n With the wins, the Hoosiers have won six of their last seven matches and continue to gain momentum going into the Big Ten tournament at the end of the month.\n "Personally speaking, I am very confident in this team's abilities," Hsia said. "We just keep getting better and better, and I think we are going to be a tough team to beat in the Big Ten tournament"