Hoosiers back in action

Team anxious to prove itself capable of a win against Utah Saturday

Forget what happened two weeks ago. Throw out all the negative energy directed toward the football team. The Hoosiers have moved on from their embarrassing Sept. 6 loss at North Carolina State, and want to show fans their capabilities Saturday.\n"You saw a team against North Carolina State with a lot of confusion, because it was the first game of the year," said senior cornerback Sharrod Wallace. "I think this week we'll be more prepared, more confident and play a great game. As a team, our backs are to the wall. We're out there to prove a point: that we are a better team than people saw two weeks ago."\nThe IU football team (0-1) takes the field in its home opener against the Utah Utes (1-1) at 4 p.m. tomorrow at Memorial Stadium. After a delay in the schedule because of the terrorist attacks, the originally-scheduled Sept. 15 home opener against Kentucky has been pushed to Dec. 1.\nThis break gave IU 16 days to prepare for the Utes. For the past two weeks, the team has been watching film of the NC State game, film of Utah's first two games and concentrating on correcting past mistakes.\n"I wouldn't say (the NC State loss) was disheartening, but it was disappointing," said senior linebacker Devin Schaffer. "We were embarrassed. It was mistakes. You can't make mistakes like that in Division I football and expect to succeed. This layoff has given us a chance to work on those things and get them fixed. I feel we have."\nThe disastrous mistakes that plagued IU against the Wolfpack were the focus of the the Hoosier practice these past couple of weeks, particularly the kicking game, which was one of IU's two major downfalls.\nBefore heading to Wednesday's practice, sophomore kicker Adam Braucher, who missed a a 41-yard field goal against NC State, was all smiles and full of confidence. Braucher said the special teams is especially excited to show people what they are made of.\n"Everybody is holding himself accountable for his mistakes," Schaffer said. "It's not like the offense is a scapegoat. We're getting the kicking game fixed."\nSenior Antwaan Randle El is now the team's primary punter, but Cameron said true freshman Bryan Robertson and senior J.R. Drummond are back-up possibilities. Sophomore Ryan Hamre was demoted after the NC State debacle.\nThe same week IU averaged under 20 yards per punt, the Utes' punts travelled for an average of more than 40 yards in their 24-10 loss to No. 7 Oregon. \nAgainst Oregon, the Utah defense allowed the Ducks no third-down conversions.\n"We've got a package plan for them," said senior running back Levron Williams. "Whatever they throw at us, we've got something to overcome that. We've got plays and enough stuff for them. All of our plans are good, and we do stuff for a reason. We just experiment and try to find different ways to get the ball out and make plays."\nWilliams is expected to start at running back Saturday. He played for a limited amount of time in the first game, carrying the ball only seven times.\nThe revolving door at the quarterback position continues to spin as Cameron avoided addressing who he would start at quarterback during the past week. The tentative plan has junior quarterback Tommy Jones taking the first snaps, but Randle El is expected to make an early appearance.\n"I know this, we're not going to play at the level we played at quarterback, regardless of how it plays out," Cameron said. "We've got to play better. It didn't work out the way we had planned. But, at the same time we are going to need both quarterbacks throughout the season"