Cream and Crimson Weekend honors alumni

Hundreds of IU alumni came to campus this weekend to participate in the Cream and Crimson Alumni Weekend. \nThe weekend is about "… all the alumni enjoying themselves and coming back to campus," said Lori Pearson, director of special events for the Alumni Association. \nPearson said there were basically five different groups of alumni on campus for the weekend: the Executive Council, made up of alumni volunteer leaders; leaders from alumni clubs across the country; DASA recipients; the Emeritus Club, made up of alumni who have reached their 50th class reunion; and members of the class of 1952, celebrating their 50th reunion.\nThe alumni gathered at the DeVault Alumni Center for a barbecue Saturday afternoon. \nSaturday evening, the class of 1952 attended a reunion banquet in the Indiana Memorial Union. IU President Myles Brand spoke briefly, as did Indiana Gov. Frank O'Bannon, who is a member of the class of 1952. Attendees watched a slide show presented by members of their class, and were also entertained by the Al Cobine Combo Quintet.\nA luncheon was held in honor of the DASA recipients Sunday. This award is the highest honor that IU reserves exclusively for alumni. It was first awarded in 1953, and usually five people a year receive the award, said Max Skirvin, special assistant to the president of the Alumni Association.\n"I think that President Wells at that time, and I'm not sure who else was involved, wanted to honor alumni in some manner," Skirvin said. "So the award is the only award that is strictly for an alumnus."\nThis year, the recipients, nominated by fellow alumni, are: Rebecca Taylor Bingham of Louisville, Ky.; Patricia Peterson Danielson of New Castle, Ind.; Jack M. Gill of Houston, Texas; Edgar F. Kettler of Fort Wayne, Ind.; and George F. Rapp of Indianapolis. \nSince its inception, there have been almost 260 recipients of this award. Skirvin estimated that only about 110 are still alive. He also said that they work to give back to the University by awarding scholarships, giving away nearly $700,000 to date. \nBesides the DASA, other awards were bestowed over the weekend. The Gertrude Rich Award, which goes to a female alumnus who has significantly contributed to the University, was given to Roselyn Cole, and the Orwig Medal, which goes to non-alumni who have contributed to IU, was awarded to Dr. Jeff Huber, the current IU swimming and diving coach. Finally, receiving a proclamation was Jerry Tardy, former president and CEO of the Alumni Association, who died in September.\nAlumni Fred and Barbara Faulkner, members of the classes of 1952 and 1951, respectively, said they enjoyed the weekend's events.\n"I enjoyed the tour yesterday," said Faulkner, who with his wife, graduated from the Kelley School of Business.\n"We went to the music building and we heard the organ; very beautiful," he said.