Monday, June 17

Councilman files defamation suit

Wells accused of having knowledge of Pedigo Bay fire

In a Tuesday morning press conference, Monroe County Councilman Scott Wells announced that he had filed a defamation suit against local resident Kevin Shiflet, who has accused Wells of having prior knowledge of the Pedigo Bay fire.\nAccording to the complaint, Wells and Shiflet spoke after a July 2 press conference regarding the Pedigo Bay project. A week later, during a televised Monroe County Council meeting, Shiflet read aloud an affidavit, alleging that during their July 2 conversation, Wells confided he had knowledge of the fire before it happened and that he knew, but would not reveal, the people responsible. On July 10, Shiflet read the reproachful document again on WGCL Radio. While on air, he also claimed he had notified the FBI, the ATF and state and local law enforcement agencies. \nThe $725,000 home of Steve Smith burned to the ground on June 27. Investigators found a propane tank in the garage of the 3,400 square-foot home, prompting many to suspect arson.\nElizabeth Cure, who along with David Colman is representing Wells, said while the First Amendment grants the right to openly criticize public figures, Shiflet's actions are more grave in nature. \n"What you can't do is knowingly publish false statements that tend to harm another's reputation, as to lower him in the estimation of the community or deter others from dealing with him or associating with him," Cure said. "And that is the definition of defamation in the state of Indiana." \nThe complaint also imputes Shiflet with defamation per se and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Colman described defamation per se as an elevated form of defamation, which may affect the amount of damages awarded by the jury. \nIn a prepared speech, Wells, who has spent the past seven years teaching advanced classes at Owen Valley High School, steadfastly defended his reputation. Accompanied by his lawyers and a small troupe of friends, Wells invoked childhood conversations with his grandfather, who he said taught him the importance of truth, honesty and integrity. \n"I believe that without those three things guiding everything I do, I really have nothing," Wells said. "I can have my house, cars and all of my materialistic desires fulfilled. But, when the end comes, the only thing I will really be judged and remembered for in this materialistic world is my reputation. I believe that without your reputation, you really have nothing.\n"Until recently, I believed the dangers that I confronted in my work were from those who were willing to damage the environment for profit. Now, I know that the danger comes from people who are not only willing to damage the environment for their profit, but who will also attempt to destroy those who stand in their way."\nIn his introductory speech, James Alexander Thom, an Owen County author, defended Wells. \n"They can't get him in his pocketbook so they went for the only valuable thing he had -- his reputation," Thom said. \nThe complaint filed by Wells and his lawyers does not define the appropriate amount of monetary redress. Colman said that amount will be determined by the jury. \n"We plan to investigate this matter, we intend to pursue it and it will ultimately result in a trial with an appropriate penalty," Colman said. \nWells and his lawyers intimated that the lawsuit may implicate others as their investigation continues.\n"If the involvement of others comes to the surface, they will be named as defendants," Colman said.