Attorney to take helm of state Democratic party

Lake County lawyer to replace Winston as chairman

Peter Manous will now officially take over the helm of the Indiana Democratic Party.\nThe state party elected the longtime volunteer and deputy chairman to the top post Saturday in Indianapolis. Manous, who's slated to start as chairman by the end of the year, practices law in Lake County, a Democratic stronghold filled with industrial cities such as Gary and Hammond.\nHe replaces Robin Winston, who became the first African-American to chair a state political party in March 1999. Winston said he stepped down because he wanted to spend more time with his family.\n"I'm leaving because of my daughter," Winston said. "Time and time again on the scales of life, I weighed being a father against being a chairman and came down on the side of being a father."\nAt a news conference announcing Winston's retirement in early June, O'Bannon had nothing but praise for the lame-duck chairman. \n"Robin has been one of my closest advisors for the past seven years. His political wisdom is unmatched," O'Bannon said. "Robin will leave our party in great shape. It is an unparalleled organization that continues to raise the bar with vigorous fund-raising and an outstanding network of grass-roots teamwork." \nManous is no slouch at fund-raising. The Merrillville-based personal injury lawyer served as regional coordinator for O'Bannon's gubernatorial campaign last fall and in 1996, bringing thousands of dollars into the governor's coffers. Manous, who earned his law degree at Valparaiso University, has also worked on the campaigns of Sen. Evan Bayh and former presidential candidate Al Gore.\n"Peter Manous is a proven Democratic leader," Bayh said in a press release. "I am confident that Peter will be an effective and dynamic state chairman. I look forward to working with him as he builds on our success." \nAt the meeting Saturday, Manous said he's looking toward holding onto Democratic seats and shoring up the party's urban base in the 2003 municipal elections. Democrats hold mayoral offices in 64 of Indiana's 117 cities, including four of the five largest.\nUnder Winston's helm, the party held onto its narrow majority in the state House of Representatives and re-elected a Democratic governor for the fourth consecutive term in a highly conservative state.\nWinston plans on remaining in the state capitol. He's putting together a lobbying firm with Patrick Terrell, who is now political director for the state party.