Barefoot and starry-eyed

Nostalgia can be a powerful force. It can be so great it causes a band of musicians to forgo most of their creative right, and try their best to remain within the lines of a famous blueprint.\nThe Dark Star Orchestra is a cover band, but unlike other cover bands they don't cover top 40 hits on the radio or play for college students on the weekend. They have built a cult following as they tour the country performing songs originally sung by the Grateful Dead.\nFour and a half years ago a \"Dead Head" was thumbing through "DeadBase," a book containing the set lists of many Grateful Dead shows. John Kadlecik, guitarist and Chicago native, decided he wanted to play a set the way the Grateful Dead would have played it.\nKadlecik gathered musicians together to play the show, told some friends and got booked for four dates at the Chicago club Martyrs. It was supposed to be a fun little project for musicians. It turned into a phenomenon. \nThey came together for a brain-storming session to plan out a few of the details. After all, they were starting a band.\nIt was in this moment the name of the band came to them -- Dark Star Orchestra. \n"The name is a derivative of a famous Grateful Dead song," says Rob Eaton, rhythm guitarist.\nCameron Blietz, the band's sound engineer says, "We are trying to recreate the work of great composers. That is where the Orchestra part comes in."\nBefore long the band had become the regular Tuesday night house band, routinely selling out the club and touring the state of Colorado. \nTheir rapid success and the staying power of such a band was a surprise, says Rob Koritz, drummer.\n"We didn't plan on it. It's a testament to how powerful the music is," Koritz says.\nThe band's reputation began to grow. People wanted to hear the music. \nJeff Zuckerman, former IU student and Clear Channel Entertainment talent buyer says, "Fans of the Grateful Dead enjoy hearing the music regardless if it's the original members or not."\nThe Dark Star Orchestra brings the music of the Grateful Dead to a new audience, Kortiz says.\n"It's a chance for young people to experience the Dead. We love this music and people want to hear it in its purest form," he says, as he describes why people would come and see his band play covers of the famous San Francisco jam band's music.\nJeff Cosby, resident of Indianapolis, has been to 85 Grateful Dead shows and two Dark Star Orchestra shows.\n"I think the main appeal of the band is they not only duplicate the music, but they duplicate the aura," he says. "When you close your eyes, you can sense a spirit that was present then and is present now."\nRon Powell, Bloomington resident, echoed Cosby's sentiment.\n"You close your eyes and they sound identical," Powell says.\nThe band tours longer than the average touring band. Because their music has already been recorded, there is no need to enter the studio to produce new music, Koritz says. The saved time allows the band to spend more time on the road, bringing the experience and feel of a Grateful Dead concert to a new generation. \nThey have developed a cult following the same way the Grateful Dead did when they were touring during the '70s, '80s and '90s.\nMany people see the music as a chance to let go of the pressures of the modern world, at least for a short time. \nSavannah, a member of the band's entourage, says, "They are carrying on what needs to be carried on -- people need to dance."\nAndrew Dofner, aka "Tiny," the band's former road manager and current truck driver, says, "It's all about taking people back. It is about people being able to release, a chance to cut loose and shake their bones."\nMembers of the Dark Star Orchestra idolize the original members of the Grateful Dead as their musical heroes. This has lead to several memorable shows when the members of the Dead share the stage with the Dark Star Orchestra. \n"(It was) the most surreal experience," Koritz says. "I've seen them play before, but it was special getting to watch them from behind. It was like playing basketball with Michael Jordan."\nPlaying with Dead members gave sound engineer Blietz the chance to fulfill one of his dreams. \n"I still haven't come down," Blietz says. "I've been dreaming about working with Bob Weir since 1981, when I saw my first show."\nAs long as there are still people who want to lose themselves in the sounds and vibe of the Grateful Dead, there will still be a band truckin' round the country playing tribute to the very much alive spirit of the Dead.