Lo Vecchio to transfer

SOUTH BEND -- Quarterback Matt LoVecchio, who led Notre Dame to seven straight wins and a Fiesta Bowl berth as a freshman before losing the starter's job after two games last season, plans to transfer.\nIrish coach Tyrone Willingham said he will grant LoVecchio's request for a transfer.\n"As a coaching staff, we had looked forward to seeing him continue to compete at the quarterback position," Willingham told the South Bend Tribune. "However, we respect his decision and wish him the best of luck both on and off the field."\nLoVecchio's father, Larry, said his son has not decided where he will transfer. LoVecchio is from Franklin Hills, N.J.\nThe decision leaves Carlyle Holiday as the only returning scholarship player at quarterback. Jared Clark, who had been the No. 3 quarterback the past two seasons, switched to tight end during spring practice. Arnaz Battle, who was the starter two seasons ago before breaking his wrist, is now a receiver.\nChris Olsen, a high school senior from Wayne Hills, N.J., signed a letter of intent with the Irish and will arrive in South Bend in August.\nWillingham, hired to replace the fired Bob Davie, is installing the West Coast offense for the Irish and had refused to say during spring practices whether Holiday or LoVecchio would be his starter. Despite throwing three interceptions in the spring game, LoVecchio said he was excited about the offense.\n"In this offense, there's always an outlet, there's always a back or a tight end you can check down to and get rid of the ball for some positive yardage," he said.