Team finds no success in Big Ten Tournament

The IU women's softball team found no success in its Big Ten opening weekend. Yesterday, the Hoosiers dropped both doubleheader games to Northwestern 9-1 (six innings) in the first game and 4-3 (11 innings) in the second. Sunday's game's followed two losses to Iowa on Saturday. The Hoosiers are 9-14-1.\nAgainst Northwestern, the first game was filled with defensive mistakes and strong Northwestern hitting. IU had only four hits and one earned run against the Wildcats.\nIn the second game, Northwestern was up early, 2-1, but senior catcher Brooke Monroe hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning for the Hoosier lead. In the top of the 10th inning, the Wildcats scored a run for the eventual victory.\nThe Hoosiers opened up the Big Ten season at Pearl Field in Iowa City versus the No. 19 Iowa Hawkeyes (16-12, 2-0) with a loss 4-1Friday night.\nA pair of errors in the fifth and sixth innings gave Iowa two runs and the lead over the Hoosiers. IU started a comeback in the seventh inning, but the Hawkeye's pitching evaded the Hoosiers run by holding IU to only one run. The Hoosiers faced the Hawkeyes at noon on Saturday, where they were stopped short again and lost 5-1. \nThe Hoosiers closed the gap to 2-1 at the bottom of the fourth inning, but two singles and a pair of errors gave Iowa a 5-1 lead in the fifth inning. The Hawkeyes improved their record to 2-0 in the Big Ten.