Monday, June 17

RPS punishment too harsh

The residents of Collins Living-Learning Center are infuriated over the firing of their resident assistants. The RAs fired Tuesday for violating a closed-weekend rule had clean records, were of legal drinking age, had substantial work experience in Residential Programs and Services and, above all, had no idea their employment would be terminated should they violate an RPS verbal contract. \nThey have one week -- one week to say goodbye to scores of residents accustomed to seeing them in the halls, in the coffeehouse, in the dining hall. With less than a month of classes left, they've got one week to find some place off campus to live. \nThe verbal agreement between RPS and the resident assistants on the evening of the NCAA championship game does not and should not bear the same weight and punishment as the employees' written contract. The agreement was made two days before the tournament's final game and, though enforceable through RPS policy, does not hint at any punishment possibilities should RAs violate the contract. \nThe RPS staff agreement specifically mandates that staff members are employed by RPS, not individual residence centers. Thus, punishment for RPS contract infractions must be handled in a consistent manner in which every RA judged to be in violation of residence hall rules should be punished equally. The possibility that the Collins RAs were punished more severely than resident assistants at other on-campus living facilities guilty of the same infraction is atrocious. \nRPS officials should reconsider the firing of the three Collins RAs. The punishment does not fit the crime.