Experience the arts before it's too late

It's that time of year again. Time to wear tank tops, throw frisbees, have cookouts and revel in the fact that summer is almost here.\nBut there's still one month of school left, which means there's plenty of time to appreciate the arts in Bloomington. This holds true especially for graduating seniors, who -- unless they live in a big city like New York where culture abounds -- might never again have the opportunity to experience culture like they can here.\nAs one of those graduating seniors, I know I'll miss the plethora of artistic events this campus and community have to offer. Where else could I get seventh-row seats to "Les Miserables" -- the day before the show -- for only $20? Where else could I go to streets like Kirkwood or Walnut on any given night and be able to choose from a multitude of bands at the various bars and nightclubs found there? Where else could I find the immeasurable talent of students in the School of Music, the Department of Theatre and Drama or the School of Fine Arts?\nI'm going to miss this place. I'm going to miss trying to decide between attending a student recital, a show at the IU Auditorium, an opera, a ballet or a show at the John Waldron Arts Center -- and this is just in one day.\nPart of what attracted me to IU in the first place was the fact that the arts and culture are so prevalent here. I love walking through the School of Music and hearing the unbelievably high notes of sopranos who are practicing, or sitting in the cramped -- but somehow cozy -- main auditorium at the Waldron. I'm from Cleveland, which isn't exactly a small town, but I think Bloomington puts it -- and many other cities -- to shame in terms of how many exciting opportunities there are here to experience the arts.\nSo I challenge each and every one of you to do just that. Whether you're graduating next month, next year, or aren't even sure yet, push yourselves to go to as many of the events as possible here in Bloomington. If you don't, you'll regret it. I know I do. If I could go back in time, I would buy tickets to all of the shows at the auditorium. I would go to more of the art galleries showcasing students in the School of Fine Arts. I would try to take in as many student and faculty recitals as possible. It's difficult to try and fit it all in during my last month here, but I'm going to try my hardest to show my profound respect for the artistic community unique to Bloomington. I know that's one thing I won't regret.