Caswell sisters to perform in Jazz Fables tonight

Thursday evening Bloomington residents will have the opportunity to witness two up-and-coming jazz artists. As part of Jazz Fables, Bear's Place will host a performance by the Caswell sisters. Sara and Rachel Caswell, both graduates of the IU School of Music, are names that jazz enthusiasts everywhere are beginning to recognize. \nRachel Caswell graduated with a bachelor's degree in cello performance from IU, and received a master's degree from the Boston Conservatory of Music. Although Rachel is a talented cello player, her main area of focus is jazz vocalization. In her career she has studied with jazz artists such as Billy Taylor, Curtis Fuller, and Danilo Perez. Her most well-known accomplishment is her participation in what is known as the "Big Band Extravaganza," where she was one of the featured vocalists.\nSara Caswell is an accomplished violinist who received her bachelor's degree from IU in 2000. \nIn Sara's short career, she has played with many jazz musicians including Jeff Hamilton and Charlie Byrd. Recent honors include her acceptance into the prestigious Indianapolis International Violin Competition, playing in Carnegie Hall with Skitch Henderson, and even producing her own CD titled First Song, which has earned excellent reviews.\nBoth Sara and Rachel have shared honors as well, including appearing together in the Jazz Cabaret Series at Kentucky Center for Arts and the summer residency in Snow Mass Colorado for the Thelonious Monk institute. \n"This marks the first concert we have done in a while as the Caswell sisters in Bloomington. We get excited, because we have such a wonderful time making music with each other," Sara Caswell said. The two and a half hour show will feature the Caswell sisters as well as Paul Johnston, a graduate student in IU jazz studies on piano, Jack Helsley, who has a master's in jazz, on bass, Pete Wilhoit, an IU graduate in percussion and jazz studies, on drums.\nDavid Miller, the host and coordinator of the evening's entertainment, speaks highly of Sara and Rachel as artists.\n"Both are extremely talented and have worked hard to achieve their artistic evolution," Miller said. "They are headed onwards and upwards."\nBut Miller isn't the only one with praise for the sisters. Pat Harbison, associate professor in Jazz Studies at IU and former instructor of both Sara and Rachel said the Caswell sisters are on their way to the top.\n"Each of them are reaching international recognition in the jazz world," Harbison said. \nThe performance will take place Thursday April 11 at Bear's Place, 1316 E. 3rd St. The show begins at 5:30 p.m. You must be 21 to attend.