Owens returns with solid album

Something More\nGinny Owens\nRocketown Records\nThree years after releasing her debut album, Without Condition, 26-year old Ginny Owens is back with Something More. Owens, who won three Dove Awards with her first release, appears to be keeping her young career on track with her sophomore album.\nIn 1999, Owens became an instant hit in the Christian music community with three No. 1 singles -- and her popularity continued to spread. She performed in the 1999 Lillith Fair, went on multiple tours and even chatted with Regis on "Live! With Regis and Kathy Lee."\nEven with a popular following, Owens did what most artists avoid -- take a break when she's popular. But the extra time off has done nothing but help Owens' music. She explains that Something More's songs are about "a hope and a love that are bigger and stronger than we are." Lyrically, the album rivals Owens' first release, ranging from Bible-based storytelling to tales of personal triumph. \nMusically, the album is a mix of up-tempo pop with occasional add-ins of Owens' R&B influences. Owens also shows the maturity that should be expected on a sophomore effort, occasionally experimenting with synthesized effects. A strong sense of constancy from the first album is also present, as many of the tunes carry the same piano thread that earned Owens her fame.\nThe most upbeat song on the album is the second track, "With Me." The song is a reminder that throughout good and bad, life will go on. "Run to You" uses the tragedy of Sept. 11 as a backdrop for a message of hope and encouragement.\nThe title track "Something More" carries a similar theme: "Gotta be something more than running circles for a living / Gotta be something better than just trying to survive / Gotta be some important puzzle piece that I am missing / Gotta be something more to life."\nOwens' fans have been waiting for something more from the talented young artist, and they certainly get it in Something More.\n

\n\n