Freshman thrust into Final Four spotlight

Perry might have to take control of offense with Coverdale out

Freshman Donald Perry ended up at the free throw line 10 times in the last 2:14 of last Saturday night's South Regional final against Kent State. The free throws were insurance to the Hoosiers' lead, which was 72-58 when Perry was fouled at the 2:14 mark.\nPerry promptly missed the front end of a one-and-one.\n"When I missed that first one, I was like 'OK, they're going to foul me and I'm going to make the rest,'" Perry said afterwards. \nPerry didn't, hitting just four of those free throws as the Hoosiers coasted to an 81-69 win. His free-throw shooting performance had the crowd groaning, all of his teammates offering him counsel on the floor and IU coach Mike Davis giving Perry some advice when he left the game.\n"He said I played tough and don't worry about the free throws," Perry said. "Just knock them down next time."\nTomorrow, the Hoosiers will need Perry to do much more than knock down insurance free throws down the stretch to secure a double-digit lead. With junior guard Tom Coverdale questionable with a left ankle sprain, the 6-foot-2, 170-pound Perry will have to play a much more important role.\nAgainst the Golden Flashes Perry was a factor in the second half when Kent State had cut the Hoosiers' lead, which had been at 20 earlier, to seven at 59-52. After a couple of turnovers against a full-court trap, Perry settled down.\n"He did great after he settled down against Kent State," Davis said. "He was put in the game in a tough situation. He's a really good player. We'll work on press attack and full-court pressure to get him ready."\nIn the NCAA Tournament, Perry is averaging five points, an assist and two turnovers in 15 minutes of action per game. Perry has been steadily improving as the season has progressed. \nHe said his biggest problems seem to arise when he thinks too much instead of just playing basketball.\n"Most of my turnovers come from trying to make passes in the offense. I try to carry out the play and think too much," Perry said. "I'm worried about it too much. The only time I turn the ball over too much is when I play too careful. If I'm just playing and not thinking, I'm all right."\nPerry was a big-time scorer at McCall High School in Tallulah, La. But the Hoosiers aren't worried about him scoring points. His season-high is eight, which came against Texas in November.\nInstead, Davis wants the turnover number low and the assist number high. That would be hard for anybody against the aggressive defense Perry will see from Oklahoma and the Sooners' point guard Hollis Price Saturday night.\n"He does a great job of penetrating when there's a lot of perimeter pressure," junior Kyle Hornsby said. "He's made a lot of good decisions in the last few games."\nIf there is any way Coverdale can play, he will. He has played in every game this season despite a variety of injuries, including a sore back. Coverdale averaged 12.2 points and nearly five assists to his 2.6 turnovers per game.\nIf he can't play Saturday, Coverdale is comfortable with Perry on the floor.\n"I haven't talked to him that much, but I told him he better be ready to go because we're going to need him. He's up for the challenge," Coverdale said. "It's hard to be thrown into a situation where you have to play right away as a freshman. I wasn't ready for it.\n"He's ready to play, and his confidence is 10 times better."\nPerry said his hometown, which is about five hours from Atlanta, will be watching. But his family will be there, and he said his dad, Donald Sr., will be at the Georgia Dome to calm him down.\nHe did not see this opportunity coming in his freshman season, but Perry welcomes the challenge.\n"This all happened so fast. Guys just go down in a split second. All the sudden you're the starting point guard in the Final Four," Perry said. "I know it's going to be real big, but it's still basketball. It's just another game. If you're a prime-time player, you have to step up."\nThe Hoosiers know Perry can play. Now they hope he can do so at the Final Four.\n"He might need to shoot a few more free throws," Hornsby joked. "But I have faith in Donald. He's going to do a good job if (Coverdale) is having some problems."\nPerry said he dreamed of playing in the Final Four, emulating Jalen Rose as a kid. Perry said the nerves are gone, and the free throws won't be a problem.\n"(I've been) working on them, trying to shoot as many as I can, till my arm gets tired. When you miss a couple, you start trying to aim," he said. "I'll hit them next time"