Big Ten season begins

The IU men's tennis team (6-3) battles Northwestern Saturday in a match at noon that begins a four-game road trip. This is the first Big Ten match of the season for the Hoosiers, while the Wildcats (8-3) possess a 3-0 record in conference play. \nCoach Ken Hydinger, in his 18th season at IU, stressed the importance of this early conference season clash. \n"It's going to be a dogfight," Hydinger said. "Everybody in the Big Ten will be ready, no matter what record they have." \nThe younger players have favorably served the Hoosiers, but IU must work on being ready to play every time out, Hydinger said. Senior Ari Widlansky looks for the youth to rise to the occasion. \nIntensity and emotion could be critical in these matches. Northwestern historically has strong fan support, and because they are playing in a new facility, the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill., the fans might be more excited. \nThe doubles point could be an issue. The Hoosiers have won only one doubles point in their last five contests. That point could be the difference Saturday. \n"The doubles point will be huge," Widlansky said. "It will establish momentum heading into singles."\nSenior Milan Rakvica said he believes winning doubles would be a plus and that the younger players need to step up. \n One younger player who could make a difference is freshman Jakub Praibis. He has won six consecutive singles matches. Praibis has been with the team for only two months but plays like he has been with them two years. He boasts a gaudy 8-1 singles mark and is 5-3 in doubles.\n "He doesn't overhit," Hydinger said. "He opens up the court with his serve and is able to set up points off his serve. He has been playing more consistent than ever."\nBesides Praibis, freshmen Jullien Vulliez, Tom Bagnato and Ryan Recht are establishing themselves as foundations for the near future. \nRakvica, meanwhile, is establishing himself as one of the top players in IU history. He sits in seventh place on IU's all-time career singles wins list with 85. In doubles, he is in seventh place. \nRakvica is 12-7 in overall singles and 6-3 in the spring and typically plays at the No. 1 position. He faded in his last match against Evansville after winning the first set and ended up losing the match.\n"Milan is capable of playing better, but he is playing very well," Hydinger said. "It's hard for him to play against No. 1 players every time out because the competition level is so high."\nIU has its share of injuries. Senior Rahman Smiley isn't expected to play because of a nagging back injury. He will be difficult to replace, as he has dominated Big Ten competition, going 21-12 for his career. \nHydinger said this is the healthiest the team's been in a while. It's the first time it has been able to do any conditioning in the past 10 days. \nDespite Smiley's absence, the Hoosiers will have the services of junior Zach Held, who took a leave of absence for about two weeks because of personal reasons. He is 9-9 in overall singles and typically contributes at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions. \nThe Hoosiers look to move one game above .500 all-time against Northwestern. They own a 36-36 all-time mark against the Wildcats, including an 11-15 record in Evanston. IU won 4-3 in last season's meeting and will attempt to duplicate that feat this year and win its first conference match of the season.