Best-selling poet to discuss diversity in art

Nikki Giovanni, the first poet to make the Los Angeles Times Bestseller List, will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday in Alumni Hall of the Indiana Memorial Union. \nThe Union Board will be sponsoring the visit of this influential Black American poet, essayist and revolutionary. Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni has taken stances with her writing that have ranged from supporting revolution, to addressing the necessity of understanding identity, by both blacks and whites. Union Board Lectures Director Mzilikazi Koné said the board had been trying for some time to bring Giovanni to campus, and had worked extensively with the Office of Multicultural Affairs to finalize her visit.\n"As an artist of her caliber, she can really inspire people to think about the world we live in and enable us to grow and learn," Koné said.\nGiovanni has influenced people for more than 25 years with her writings and poetry and has received several honorary doctorates, including one in Humane Letters from IU in 1991. She is currently Professor of English and Gloria D. Smith Professor of Black Studies at Virginia Tech. \nGiovanni will incorporate aspects and readings from her various books into her lecture. Some of her books include: "Black Feeling, Black Talk;" "Black Judgment;" "The Women and the Men" and "Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day." Her newest book, "Blues For All the Changes: New Poems" made the Los Angeles Times Bestseller List, propelling her further into public consciousness.\n"(Giovanni) has a strong history in having something to say and saying it," Koné said. "She uses her art form to make a stance." \nAssociate Vice Chancellor for Multicultural Affairs Gloria Gibson said the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Union Board had cosponsored a lecture last year for Black History Month, and as a result of the success of the lecture, they decided to pair again. They attempted to align her visit for February, but Giovanni's schedule didn't allow for a visit until March, Women's History Month, which is also an appropriate time for her visit, Gibson said.\n"What we're most interested in is bringing speakers that will provide an enlightening message for students," Gibson said."It doesn't necessarily need to be in February."\nGiovanni has been involved in civil and women's rights through her art.\n"Her topic really will be looking at diversity and the issue of art and in fact diversity as art," Gibson said. "And I think that she has been a poet whose work has really in a very significant way, probed into the consciousness of America in dealing with issues of race. \n"I think as a poet she will bring a wonderful contribution in helping all of us understand how art can be didactic, informative and educational, as well as having an intrinsic value as art."\nGiovanni's visit coincides with the decision made over the Thomas Hart Benton mural panel in Woodburn Hall and the discussions over its artistic value.\n"It's quite appropriate with what we're going through on our campus in discussing the Benton Murals," Gibson said.\nThe lecture will be followed by a question and answer session, as well as a book signing by Giovanni. Admission is free and open to the public.