Hoosier women to compete in Big Tens

21 IU athletes ranked in top 10 of Big Ten conference

With a focus on team performance, the IU women's indoor track and field team heads to Penn State this weekend to compete for the Big Ten Championship. \nThe Hoosiers are projected to compete well across the board. Heading into the conference, 21 IU athletes are ranked in the top 10 in the Big Ten. Twelve of the 21 are ranked in the top three in their respective events.\nIn 2000, IU came away with the Big Ten title after scoring a record number of points. Healthy and ready, the Hoosiers look for their fourth indoor conference win.\nHead coach Randy Heisler projects that if every athlete competes as well as each has competed all year, the team will win the meet. The competition is tough, but there is good reason to believe that IU will dominate the field. \nTo win, IU must score in all four areas -- throws, jumps, distance and sprints. \n"This is the first time since I've been here we may be able to do some serious damage in all four areas," Heisler said.\nFor the weight throw, senior Heather Colyer and junior Kelley McKinney are tied for second in the Big Ten rankings. Last year, McKinney placed 11th at the conference, and she has increased her distance by 12 feet. Colyer is also ranked seventh for shot put.\nAt Penn State's Collegiate Championship Feb. 8-9, juniors Rose Richmond and Tandra Foster, along with sophomore Jennifer Cobbina, swept the long jump by scoring 1-2-3. All three women are ranked in the Big Ten -- first, fourth and fifth, respectively. \nFreshman Carolyn Schopf is ranked second in the triple-jump. Also a freshman, Christina Archibald is ranked fourth in the high jump. The freshmen have been improving and surprising spectators all season. \nJumps coach, Wayne Pate, believes the women are ready. \nHe said they're well-prepared, well-rested, very motivated and very talented. Pate is anxious to see the ladies meet their goals.\n Another freshman to watch is Emily Tharpe, who is ranked second in the pole vault and is returning to her home state. \n The distance girls looked stronger and stronger over the past few meets. Freshman Mindy Peterson, ranked second in the mile, ran an impressive and aggressive race at the Penn State Collegiate this year. \n Sophomore Audrey Geisler is ranked seventh in the mile. Senior Courtney Bell is ranked fifth in the 800-meter run. Heisler said she'd love to see Bell do well at her final indoor conference performance.\nSprints are expected to bring in many points for the Hoosiers. IU has arguably some of the best sprinters in the country. \nSprint coach Ed Bathea said if the girls stay mentally focused, they will succeed in fulfilling their goals. \n"I'm excited about the possibilities of this weekend," he said.\nSenior Tia Trent, ranked first in the conference (400-meter run), has had a strong past three years and is ready to race well at Penn State. Sophomore Charlene Maddox is ranked right behind Trent at third, and junior Chiama Ndubisi is ranked 10th. The 200-meter dash should bring in points for IU. Sophomores Rachelle Boone and Danielle Carruthers are ranked first and fifth in the conference along with freshman Ara Towns in eighth. Boone has a chance to win the 60-meter dash with her top-ranked time. Carruthers is ranked first in the 60-meter hurdles with her nationally-ranked time, and she is ranked third in the 60-meter dash.