Goalie sets all-time win record

Never one to brag, Whitlock sets mark in quiet fashion

Chad Whitlock has never been one to brag.\nNow in his fifth year, the Hoosier goaltender has faced just about every challenge that the American Collegiate Hockey Association has to offer, and he's done so with the kind of quiet modesty that commands respect from both teammates and coaches alike. Personal accolades mean little to Whitlock.\nThree weeks ago, Whitlock made 10 saves in a 17-1 victory over Purdue. It was the 38th win of his Hoosier career, surpassing Justin Wojtowicz and making him the winningest goaltender in school history. Whitlock didn't say a thing.\n"Nothing was really mentioned to him about it. He doesn't talk about it. He didn't brag," Assistant coach Chris Quimby said. "He just kept coming to practice and doing the kind of things he always did."\nA few losses, but not many. Whitlock's laundry list of individual accolades will keep him fresh in the minds of Hoosier fans, not to mention record books, for years to come. He holds the team's all-time mark for wins in a season with 14. He's also got the second highest single season save percentage (.918 in 2000), and sits at third all time for single season goals against average (2.24 in 2000), career goals against average (2.93) and career save percentage (.900). \nAmong the many names of goaltenders that Whitlock surpassed in attaining the all time victory mark is Alex Kyrias, who's also had the opportunity to coach Whitlock over the last five years.\n"He's a big part of the reason this team over the last five years has been successful," Kyrias, whose 30 career wins from 1992-96 are third in team history, said. "No matter what role you put him in, he's going to do his best. It's been a joy to coach him for five years. I can't say enough about his attitude."\nFollowing a career as the starting goalie at Carmel High School, Whitlock came to the Hoosiers in 1997 to find a backstock of goalies ahead of him on the depth chart. But Whitlock made the most of his rare opportunities, earning the confidence of head coach Rich Holdeman following his 8-2 freshman year. One of those two losses was a one-goal defeat of Life University in the national championship game.\nBut it was in the 1999-2000 season that Whitlock really came into his own. After spending his sophomore year splitting the starting duties with Wojtowicz, Whitlock was on fire for his junior year, going 15 games before suffering his first and only loss - another one goal squeaker in the national championships. \n"The kind of year he had going 14-1-1, you just don't see years like that anymore," Kyrias said.\nOnce again, Whitlock refused to give himself credit.\n"It was just one of those years where everything was going great for me," Whitlock said. "I have to give most of the credit to the defensemen."\nBut this season has presented a new challenge for Whitlock. With the emergence of junior Charlie Pulley and sophomore Josh Block in the net, Whitlock has been relegated to the role of No. 3 goaltender. His record-setting victory was only his third game this season. It hasn't been an easy adjustment, especially for a fifth-year senior with an uncanny career record of 38-8-2.\n"It's been kind of disappointing for me," Whitlock said. "I'm really not playing much, and it's frustrating, but Charlie's been playing great. The team is winning, so I'm happy."\nAn economics major and member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, Whitlock graduates this summer with no idea where his hockey career will take him. Only one thing is for sure, he will be missed by this Hoosier organization.\n"Right from the beginning, he's been a mainstay for our program," Holdeman said. "He's always here and he's always working hard"