Thieves still running from police

Bloomington Police are still looking for two suspects who took five diamond rings from Victor Settle Jewelry Store, 109 S. Walnut, on Tuesday according to Capt. Joe Qualters. \nQualters described one suspect as a white male about 5-foot-7, 160 pounds, in his thirties with dark brown hair and pale skin and wearing a brown jacket. The second suspect, Qualters said, is a black male, 6-foot tall with a large build also in his thirties with a receding and hairline wearing a black leather jacket. \nQualters described the series of events as unsuspicious. The suspects entered the store and gave the clerk a false name asking to pick up some jewelry. While the clerk was in the back, one suspect reached over the counter to see if the cases were locked. When the clerk returned the suspects gave the clerk another false name. \n While the clerk was in the back the suspect reached into the counter grabbed a display tray and slipped it under his coat which was lying on the counter. The two suspects left the store without any indication that they had committed the theft. Immediately after the suspects left, the clerk noticed the rings missing and called the BPD. The police have not made any arrests yet, but they are still investigating. \nQualters hopes that the descriptions and photos distributed to the media will help lead to the identification of the suspects.\nVictor Settle Jewelers is one of several enduring family owned businesses in Bloomington\'s downtown. The store opened in 1958. Victor and Marie Settle, the store's owners, were hesitant to speak to the press because the case is currently under investigation. \nThis is the second such incident in a period of a year for the Settle's. The jewelry store was robbed Jan. 5, 2001. Brishon Bond, 27 and Charles Wade Brown, 23 held store customers and the two owners at gunpoint with 9 mm semiautomatic handguns. The police arrived shortly after an employee tripped the silent alarm. The two men were apprehended.\nSergeant Rick Helms of the BPD claims that Settle Jewelers is no more susceptible to crime than any other downtown location. \n \"Downtown is a busy part of town," Halms said. "People are going in and out (of stores) quickly without being noticed." \n Talisha Coppock, executive director of the Commission for Bloomington Downtown, has been working with downtown businesses for the last ten years. She says that these robberies are unusual for downtown businesses. \n\"Downtown is a safe place to be," Coppock said.