Spokeswoman to leave IU

Susan Dillman, who served as IU spokeswoman for more than one year, said she will not return to the University. She accepted administrative leave three days after returning from a three-month-long medical leave.\nVice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Bill Stephan, who offered her the leave Friday, said Dillman would no longer serve as director of media relations but would not say whether she would return to the University.\n"Administrative leave" is approved paid time-off from a University position, Stephan said.\nDillman had been on medical leave to undergo and recover from outpatient back surgery. She had been involved in a serious car accident in February of 2000 and had undergone a number of back surgeries.\nAt the conclusion of a medical leave an IU employee must be returned to the same or equivalent position held when the leave began, according to IU Personnel Policy on the Family and Medical Leave Act, which applied to Dillman's medical leave.\nIn accordance with the Act, Dillman said that when she returned, she assumed the same position she filled before her medical leave.\nThree days later, Dillman and Stephan met in Stephan's office, where he offered her administrative leave. Dillman said he gave no reason. Neither would say whether other options were on the table. \nDuring Dillman's leave, Stephan fulfilled Dillman's role as University spokesperson. He will continue to act as University spokesperson, sharing the duties with others in the Office of Communications and Marketing, he said. \n"Recognizing that she hasn't been in the mix, I will continue (as University spokesman)," Stephan said. "... It's in the best interest to keep that continuity."\nSharon McCann, an IU employee relations consultant who advises on Family and Medical Leave issues, said missed time during a Family Medical Leave should not affect an employee's job.\nStephan said Dillman's medical leave did not affect her job, adding that he was legally limited in what he could say because of personnel privacy concerns.\nAsked whether her medical leave played a role in her parting with IU, Dillman said, "I hope not."\nDillman said she welcomes the opportunity to find a new job. She said she verbally agreed to the terms of the leave, which includes three months pay with full benefits. \n"I've been interested in leaving for quite some time," Dillman said. "They offered administrative leave, and I said 'great.'"\nWhile she is excited to look for new opportunities, Dillman said leaving is "bittersweet."\n"I learned a lot at IU, and hopefully I gave a little back," she said.