More wrestlers head to injured list in Virginia

The short-handed IU wrestling team didn't need any more injuries this weekend. Unfortunately, senior heavyweight D.J. Radnovich and junior Ty Matthews were lost for at least six weeks, possibly for the season.\nRadnovich severely sprained his ankle in his first match. Matthews re-injured his shoulder in the second match of the day. Despite the setbacks, the Hoosiers put up three tough matches but were unable to get the results they wanted at the Virginia Duals in Hampton, Va.\nIn their first match Friday, the Hoosiers lost to Pittsburgh 27-12. Junior Greg Schaefer and sophomore Andrew Wolf recorded victories and senior Viktor Sveda recorded a pin.\nIn the consolation match Friday, IU bounced back to beat Ohio 23-15. The Hoosiers had several strong performances from their wrestlers. Schaefer and Sveda both picked up their second wins of the tournament. Senior Brian Smiley, freshman Rocky Mantella, sophomore Steve Amy and Radnovich were also able to pick up victories.\n"Everything is leading up to the end of the season," Schaefer said. "I wrestled decent, but there is a lot of room for improvement."\nSaturday, the Hoosiers took on the North Carolina Tar Heels. Despite winning five of the matches, the Hoosiers (6-4) fell short, 23-21. A late forfeit in the heavyweight match turned out to be the critical point of the match. Mantella, Wolf, Sveda, Schaefer, and freshman Pat DeGain all recorded victories.\n"Most of the guys wrestled very well," IU coach Duane Goldman said. "We won more matches, but we had a lot of health problems."\nFor Sveda, it was his third pin of the tournament. Sveda is now 17-1. With that pin, Sveda became IU's all-time leader in pins with 41, passing Roger Chandler.\n"He's (Sveda) picked it up a notch," Goldman said. "He wrestled extremely well. He was really going after the pins."\nDeGain stepped in after Matthews went down and pinned Austin Wall of UNC. Goldman was pleased with DeGain's performance.\n"You always have to be prepared to wrestle," DeGain said. "I was constantly warming up and just went in whenever coach told me to."\nDespite the losses, Goldman was pleased with the courage that his team displayed despite having many starters on the sideline.\n"We had a lot of gutsy performances," Goldman said. "Even with our handicap, we put up a good fight. We just had too many holes"