Hoosiers post season bests at U.S. Open

Eight swimmers represent team at national meet while 15 others compete in Ohio

The IU women's swimming team got what it wanted out of its three-day trip to East Meadow, N.Y. for the U.S. Open Swimming Championships.\nHeading into the meet, head coach Dorsey Tierney said she hoped the tough competition present at the meet would help the Hoosiers gear their improvements as they look ahead to the spring championship season. Tierney was also looking for the Hoosiers to continue the success they have achieved in their other meets in the fall season.\nThe eight Hoosier swimmers who made the trip to the Open responded and posted 10 new season best times, nine of which were B-qualifying times for the NCAA Championships. \nSenior Susan Woessner, junior Kristy Martin and sophomores Brooke Taflinger and Sarah Fiden led the Hoosier contingent at the Open.\nWoessner qualified for the C-final in the 200-meter backstroke and won the heat with a time of 2:14.07 (2:00.12 after conversion to short-course yards). That time is a new season best for Woessner and the team and was a NCAA B-qualifying time. Woessner placed fourth in the A-final of the 100-meter backstroke with a time of 1:01.45 (55.05 after conversion). Martin had two second place finishes in different B-finals to represent IU. She swam a season best 4:49.17 (4:19.09 after conversion) in the 400-meter individual medley and also posted a season best in the 200-meter butterfly with a time of 2:15.55 (2:01.45 after conversion).\nTaflinger displayed her strength in the individual medley events for the Hoosiers. She qualified for the A-final in both the 200-meter and 400-meter IM. Her time of 2:17.05 (2:02.79 after conversion) in the 200-IM was good enough for sixth overall in the Open and is a new season best and a B-qualifying time for the NCAA Championships. Taflinger also placed sixth in the 400-IM A-final with a time of 4:49.71 (4:19.58 after conversion).\nThe Hoosiers also displayed their strength in the 400-meter and 800-meter freestyle competitions. The quartet of Taflinger, Fiden, Woessner and freshman Erin Smith competed in the 800 for the Hoosiers. Their time of 8:18.19 (7:26.37 after conversion) was fast enough for fourth overall and was a new season best. Junior Anne Williams took over for Taflinger for the 400-meter event and the team placed fifth with a time of 3:48.42 (3:24.57 after conversion), also a new season best. Each time is also a B-qualifying time for the NCAA's.\nWhile the eight Hoosier swimmers were competing at the Open, the team also had 15 swimmers at the Miami (OH) Invitational. Those swimmers in Tierney's mind primarily consisted of less experienced swimmers and Tierney was hoping for someone to step up in a leadership role.\nAfter two days of competition at the Invitational, the Hoosiers were led by junior Maggie Helmers and sophomore Meghan Medendorp. Helmers placed fifth overall in the 400-yard IM and fourth in the consolation final of the 200-yard IM. Medendorp qualified for three different individual finals and competed in two relay finals for the Hoosiers.\nIn the team standings the Hoosiers were in ninth place with a total of 365.5 points. Fellow Big Ten team Michigan State led host Miami (OH) by just 4.5 points. Results from the third day of competition were not available before print time.\nThe Open and Miami Invitational concludes the fall season for the Hoosiers with a 2-0-1 dual meet record. The team won't get back in the pool for competition until they host Ohio State in a co-ed dual Big Ten meet Jan. 12. The dual will be held at the Counsilman/Billingsley Aquatic Center in the SRSC.