Everyone should 'Dig Deeper'

It's that time of year again -- the holiday season that is. With all the tree decorating, shopping, card sending, television specials, carol singing, parties overflowing with food and holiday good cheer, it is easy to forget those who don't have as much to be cheerful about.\nI don't blame anyone for enjoying all the wonderful things of the holiday season (I rather like all these things myself), but each of us has a responsibility to give some of our own joy and happiness to other people. That's right, I said, "responsibility." After all, isn't sharing what these holidays are all about?\nYou know, I've really respected President Bush these last few months for the way he has so calmly and steadfastly dealt with the War on Terrorism. But nothing affected me more than when the president called on each American to give a little more, to "dig deeper," this holiday season.\nWhy did this impress me? Because in this time of crisis, death, disease and uncertainty, in which all Americans have already sacrificed their time, money and blood, the president asked for more. More sacrifice is needed to destroy terrorism. \nAnd just as importantly, more is needed to feed, cloth and shelter those left behind in our society. And by giving more, America demonstrates to the world that we have compassion for our fellow human beings even when compassion and understanding have not been shown to us. It has always been our compassion strengthened through hard work that has made this country great.\nSo this holiday season, what will you do to help our less fortunate fellow-citizens? I understand that many people give money. Don't get me wrong; those who give money are wonderful and generous people. But don't we have a responsibility to do more?\nIt feels great to give a couple of dollars to those with bells and red buckets. But how much better would it feel to physically hand an unfortunate soul that money? Or to cook a family a holiday meal, or dole out gifts to children? I would bet that the gratitude of those you helped would double or triple your own sense of satisfaction. So, why not get out there and volunteer? There are certainly more than enough charities to choose from (and enough that need your kindness).\nOf course, you don't have to give up your whole holiday, winter break or, indeed, your life to volunteer for community service. Just a little help from everyone once a week or month would be enough to staff fully every charity. Or perhaps you could do a couple long-term projects a year? Either way, you would be showing your compassion not just around the holiday season, but when people really need you -- the struggle of everyday life.\nI haven't decided which exact charity I'll be working at this holiday season (and just so you know I'm not a hypocrite, I already do volunteer work year round). But wherever I work, I'm sure the rewards will be worth more than gold. All of our efforts will certainly be worth gold to those we help. I just hope that those of you who do volunteer continue to do so after the holiday season. The hungry, cold and homeless know no calendar, and neither should our own hearts' compassion.