Varied training methods unite runners

Different runners specialize in different distances and events. But Coach Judy Bogenschutz said she is seeking a balance on her cross country team. \n"First thing I tell all of them in the fall is that they are 5K and 6K runners," Bogenschutz said. "They have to say that they're running this distance today and they have to run it well."\nSophomore Audrey Giesler is one of the middle distance runners. She also said she tries to separate the two seasons. \n"I have to have the mentality that I'm a cross country runner now and not worry about track." Giesler said.\nBogenschutz said the runners are running the same distance now, but they are all different. Sophomore Becky Obrecht said Bogenschtz does a good job of varying workouts.\n"She knows we are all different," Obrecht said. "She divides us up by distances for training."\nFreshman Mindy Peterson said the different workouts make practices more interesting.\n"I doubt if we've done the same workout twice this year," she said. "Some people work on speed."\n Bogenschutz said she trains the runners individually. Some of the runners will run more miles in a week while others work more on their speed. She also tapers off mileage when she thinks a runner needs it.\n "Becky (Obrecht) showed signs of overtraining before the Pre-NCAA meet," Bogenschutz said. "We backed her off a little and she responded well."\nThe hardest challenge might be for those runnners who run the mile or less during the track season. Bogenschutz said that there is a big difference between 5K and the mile.\n"Mentally it's harder to run more," Bogenschutz said. "You can train them and physically get them ready, but mentally they need to cross that barrier."\nSophomore Lauren Weddell said mentally, you have to prepare for the longer hurt.\n"You know what you're going to experience before the race," Weddell said. "You just have to go out and run through it."\nOne negative that Bogenschtz said she sometimes sees from the middle distance runners is that they conserve too much energy during races, and then they pass many people at the end. They often have energy left at the end. \nThe varying workouts that Bogenschutz uses help the runners in all aspects of their running. Peterson said she sees the positive aspects of the varied workouts.\n"My distance helps me with my speed and my speed helps me with my distance running"