'Vagina Monologues' intimate, engaging

It was like the tampon section at Kroger: nothing but women and a few sparsely scattered men, looking like deer caught in the headlights. Performing for an estrogen-packed house, Eve Ensler\'s "The Vagina Monologues" took the Buskirk-Chumley stage by storm last week as it succeeded in bringing many closeted women\'s issues to light. Beautifully performed, the show sparkled with energy, emotion and integrity, leaving the audience whooping for more.\nBased on more than 200 interviews with real women about their sexuality, "The Vagina Monologues" covers topics ranging from birth to rape to lesbianism, and yes -- those pesky gynecological exams. The three-woman show consists of intimate, engaging stories that provoke side-splitting laughter as well as sobering truths about violence against women. These stories are interspersed with informative 'vagina facts,' making for a touching yet educational experience. \n"The Vagina Monologues" presents not only a highly entertaining dialogue but informs the audience about womanhood itself. The set was simple: three chairs, each accompanied by a microphone and a table sporting some papers and a red coffee cup. If I hadn\'t known I was there for a theatrical performance I would have thought I was there for a lecture. Which, in a sense, is precisely what it was.\nThe simplicity of the set brought this lecture atmosphere out. There were no garish sets, no intense lighting changes, no elaborate costumes. The key element was the dialogue. Uninhibited by distracting sets or other theater whatnots, that dialogue came out in vibrant colors.\nThe show presented a laid-back atmosphere that resembled a slumber party or a 'night out with the girls.' The monologues sparkled with sincere emotion, bringing the truth in every situation described. \nThis experience could not have been nearly as effective if it were not for the phenomenal all-female cast of Tracey A. Leigh, Amy Love and Amy Stiller. All three actresses presented their characters intelligently and engagingly. \nThe performers read off scripts for the majority of the show. Rather than looking ill-rehearsed and fragmented, this provided a more intimate atmosphere for the audience. It was like they were reading newfound facts to us and we were all laughing about them together, as friends. Leigh and Love pulled off this effect rather well. Hardly glancing at their scripts, both seemed to have memorized the entire show. But Stiller frequently referred to her script, pausing momentarily it seemed, to find her place. During her monologues, this created distracting pauses that frequently were out of character. \nDespite these interruptions, all three actresses combined for an awesome ensemble, but what made the show so effective was the intimacy with the audience. Every viewer was engaged, some nodding heads in agreement, laughing in shock or blushing in modesty. \nSteeped in both comedy and hushing solemnity, \"The Vagina Monologues\" presented an unforgettable show, altering the audience's view of the "vagina" along with providing colorful examples of beautiful femininity.