RPS is failing students

Here I go again. I know, it's not fair that I beat up IU's administrators. But when they make deplorable comments or conspire to stick it to students yet again, I feel it's the least I can do. \nToday, I'm referring to two recent Residential Programs and Services decisions as noted in the Nov. 19 edition of the IDS.\nThe first decision was to drop the miss-a-meal program, in which IU students could donate points off their cards for a specified charity. Now when I found out about the 60 percent of the donated money that RPS kept for "overhead costs," I was outraged and called and wrote several administrators and trustees, asking them to stop RPS' skimming (I believe it's technically called "fraud" and is supposedly punishable by law, who knew?). \nSo I was glad to hear the program was being dismissed. Just when I thought RPS had done something right, I saw Sandra Fowler's comment that:\n"Charities, I feel, take advantage of students because students don't know the true amount they are donating. They have the responsibility to advertise how much goes to charity, and that hasn't always been the case."\nSimply ludicrous. Does the director of RPS Dining Services really want the charities to tell students that RPS is defrauding students out of 60 percent of their money that they gave from their decent hearts to charity? Here's a clue RPS organizers, it is your responsibility to tell students where the money is going. It was RPS that took advantage of students by claiming to help charity and then quietly kept some of that money to "cover costs" for which no food or service was provided. If RPS has such high costs that it can only cover by taking money meant for charity, then RPS should cut costs! I know, it's an insane idea considering this University's penchant for large bureaucracy.\nThe other RPS decision was to drop the rate freeze for upperclassmen that continue to stay in the dorms after their freshman year. While I recognize current economic difficulties, RPS must have a sensible justification. RHA president for Collins Center, sophomore John Schlafer, said removing the rate freeze would help to reduce every student's rate, but then added that this revenue could also help RPS fund renovations. So which is it Mr. Schlafer and RPS, lower rates for everyone or renovations? The amount of money raised would not allow for both options. So, knowing RPS, expect them to spend that money.\nThus, RPS and their stooges, a small contingent of RHA members, have decided to stop defrauding charities and students (only because they got caught), but blame it on charities. As well, RPS will jack up living rates for upperclassmen, and the money will fall into a black hole of bureaucratic mismanagement.\nSo students, are you tired of RPS yet? Well then wait a while longer and they'll make even more egregious mistakes that will cost you money for no increase in service. Calling RPS and complaining really won't do you much good. They know that they can ride out a particular student's four or five year tenure at IU. So I can only suggest you notify trustees and politicians to dismantle RPS. Privatization looks pretty good. Marriott does a great job with the Union, don't you think?