Family rivals take field for gridiron showdown

Rasmussen brothers on opposing teams

Half green, half red.\nThat's what the Rasmussen family will be adorned in Saturday when the Hoosiers travel to East Lansing to take on Michigan State. Red for IU senior linebacker Kemp Rasmussen, green for his brother, Spartan sophomore Kyle Rasmussen, the starting defensive tackle.\nAnd in the stands, the friends and family members of the two brothers will be wearing homemade jerseys with support split down the middle.\nBut according to the younger brother, that's not quite how the support will swing.\n"They're going to be cheering for me," Kyle said. "I'm the favorite in the family. That's just how it is."\nSo how does Kemp feel about that claim?\n"He said that?" Kemp asked. "Alright...that's...that's fine... he really said that?"\nJust friendly, off the field ribbing between two brothers who will meet on the field at Spartan Stadium for the first time since each of them started their college careers.\n"It's going to be a good game," Kemp said. "I've had this game circled on the calendar since last year. I'll be ready for this game."\nThe brothers are no strangers to competing against one another. Growing up, if it wasn't backyard football, it was basketball or Nintendo that fueled the brothers rivalry.\nKemp, being the older brother, usually got the better of Kyle. But Kyle said he gave him plenty of good competition.\n"We fought like brothers," Kyle said. "But we always got along. Growing up, we were competitive in a lot of things, but he's the older one, so he usually beat me. But I'd do okay."\nThe pair found themselves on the same side during high school, but on opposite sides of the ball. Kyle played offense for the Lapeer West High School in Michigan, while Kemp was racking up an honorable mention All-American Award and All-State recognition.\nDuring Kemp's junior year and Kyle's freshman year, their team went to and won the state championship, leading to an undefeated record. \nBut while Kemp was getting the attention, Kyle known as "Kemp's younger brother."\n"I think that's one of the reasons he didn't want to come to IU," Kemp said. "My family and I pushed him, but I don't think he wanted to be in my shadow. He needed to do his own thing, and it's working out for him."\nKyle was redshirted during the 1999 season, but started in four games during his freshman season. He also picked up a bowl ring after the Spartans defeated the Florida Gators in the 2000 Citrus Bowl.\nHis older brother may not have a bowl ring, but this season he is third on the defensive list with 30 tackles, 22 of which were solo.\n"(Kemp) as a matter of fact, wasn\'t recruited by Michigan State," coach Cam Cameron said. "(the late former IU assistant coach) Pete Schmidt thought he was a good football player and he was right. Kemp came in as a middle linebacker and we moved him to defensive end."\nSaturday, unless Cameron or Spartan coach Bobby Williams decide to let either take snaps with the offense, both will be watching the other on the field.\nBoth are coming off huge upsets. Kyle and the Spartans had the emotional upset over former Bowl Championship Series hopeful Michigan, while Kemp and the Hoosiers were pulling off a shocking upset against Northwestern.\nBut Saturday's game is the one both are anticipating the most.\n"It's going to be good," Kemp said. "It's for bragging rights for the rest of our life"