Sunday, Sept. 1

Hoosiers strong at Invitational

Men's tennis team sees four players in action on final day

The IU men's tennis team wrapped up competition at the Louisville Fall Invitational Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. Four Hoosiers saw action on the final day of the event.\nJunior Zach Held and freshman Jon Magnes both advanced to the semifinals of the Flight "A" draw. Sixth-seeded Held was defeated by top-seeded senior Gustav Pousette of Kentucky, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. \nHeld is now 5-3 in fall singles play. Magnes also ran into trouble against Kentucky, as fourth-seeded Rahim Esmail, a sophomore, defeated Magnes 6-2, 6-3. Magnes' fall singles record is now 6-2. \nIn the Flight "A" singles consolation draw, freshman Ryan Recht was defeated by Wright State senior Chad Derry in semifinals action. Recht's fall singles mark now stands at 5-4.\nFreshman Efriam Kandinov fell to senior Pete Baghdati of Toledo in the Flight "B" finals match, 6-3, 6-2. Kandinov now holds a singles mark of 3-2. \nThe Hoosiers' doubles team of Held and Recht finished runner-up in the Flight "A" doubles draw. The duo lost a hard fought bout to freshman Scott Brown and sophomore Lewis Smith of Vanderbilt, 8-4. Held and Recht are now 7-1 in fall doubles play. \nNext fall action for the Hoosiers is the ITA All-American Championships this week in Stone Mountain, Ga. IU will be represented by senior Milan Rakvica.