Crew competes in regattas

The women's rowing team continues its fall season this weekend with two regattas. The Hoosiers Varsity Eight A boat will travel to Boston for the Head of Charles, and the remaining varsity and novice squads will compete in the Head of Eagle in Indianapolis.\nThe Head of Charles race is on a three-mile stretch of the Charles River, a course of many acute turns. \nThe Hoosier boat will have a chance to run the course twice before Saturday's race. Sophomore Margaret Shelsy; juniors Becky England, Erin Koers, Meg Bay, Stephanie Mast, Emily Rumschlag and Danielle Bird; and seniors Beth Lund and Amy Roble will ride on the A boat. \n"We are excited about going to Boston," coach Mark Wilson said. "It is our first time, and we are looking for great success." \nThe Hoosiers will compete in the Club 8, an event chosen for the Hoosiers by a random lottery held by regatta officials. The Club 8 will consist of rowing clubs, some collegiate teams and former collegiate rowers from around the world. \nThose headed to Indianapolis will have a chance to face Notre Dame and Wisconsin again after facing the two teams at last weekend's Chicago Chase in Chicago and Head of the Rock in Rockford, Ill. \n"We are looking to see how we have progressed over the past week," said assistant coach Rob McCracken. "We would like to make up some time this weekend."\nThe Hoosiers will also compete in the Quad this weekend. Last weekend, IU won the Quad in Rockford, its first time competing in the event.\n"The Quad was amazing," said junior Katie Fitzgerald. "We were all flowing well, catching and swinging. It was light, and we were relaxed. It was difficult, but it wasn't because we weren't rowing together. We rowed together very well. It was difficult because we were pushing our legs so hard, and that enabled us to win."\nThe Hoosiers said they hope to win both regattas.\n"Our goal is to always win," McCracken said. "But I would like to see them continue to get faster and to get off the water and be pleased with what they had just carried on"