Hoosiers defeat Kentucky 1-0

Swann's double overtime goal earns the win, Hoosier defense holds Wildcats to no shots

After nearly 113 minutes of soccer, and 20 missed shots, the men's soccer team finally had a reason to celebrate during this weekend's final game of the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic.\nIn the second and final sudden-death overtime period of a 0-0 deadlock between IU and Kentucky, a free kick by freshman midfielder J.D. Johnston found the head of junior John Swann and trickled past Wildcat goalkeeper Brad Samelko. This sent the Hoosier players into a frenzied celebration, leaving the Kentucky players in complete shock.\nNo player perhaps, was as shocked as Swann himself.\n"I didn't even see the ball go in," Swann said. "I just saw (junior) Pat (Noonan) come running at me with his arms in the air and I knew it had gone in, and I knew we had won."\nWith the win, IU earned second place for the tournament after being defeated by eventual tournament champ St. John's Friday night. Kentucky finished third and Butler last in the four team field. Seniors Ryan Hammer and Josh Rife, and Noonan were all named to the All-Tournament team, with Johnston earning the Fair Player Award.\nIU's opener against No. 14 St. John's was, as head coach Jerry Yeagley put it, "a tale of two completely different halves."\nUnfortunately for IU, a strong second half could not dig them out of a 2-0 halftime deficit as the Red Storm upset the 4th-ranked Hoosiers, 2-1.\n"St. John's played an excellent first half and they were simply the better team, but the second half was exactly opposite," Yeagley said. "We played tremendous soccer and just like St. John's in the first half we were getting to second balls and getting great opportunities."\nIn the second half, Noonan assisted junior Michael Bock's goal to make it 2-1 with less than 15 minutes left, but the Hoosiers would fail to score again.\nThe Kentucky game was also filled with missed opportunities for the Hoosier offense. Of IU's 21 shots, only nine were on goal, giving Samelko eight saves on the evening. Kentucky was also playing a man down after freshman Chris Soler was issued a red-card in the first half.\n"(Samelko) made some great saves tonight and we had numerous scoring chances," Noonan said. "When you get 20 chances for the forwards, you are bound to score at least one goal and we did tonight in overtime. They played tough. They had a man down. We had chances and they were stopping them, so give them credit."\nYeagley said he was concerned with his team's offensive output.\n"I was getting the feeling we might have to play till midnight, or later, and then maybe couldn't score," Yeagley said. "If we don't become more efficient and effective offensively, we're going to have a long season. \n"Yes, we're missing some players, but we have good enough players out there to take better advantage of the opportunities that we're creating."\nBut the Hoosier defense won Yeagley's praise.\n"This may have set history tonight," he said, looking at the scoreboard. "I see zero shots up there for the opponent. I don't know if we've ever don't that."\n"As a goalkeeper, you can't ask for more than that," senior goalkeeper Colin Rogers added. "Any time our defense doesn't give up a shot, I'll take it. Rife, Hammer and Swann really played a great game."\nDespite the first round upset, Rogers stressed the importance of the Kentucky win.\n"The fact that we won this how we did is huge," he said. "We were able to pull it out in overtime, and that means a lot to us right now. Kentucky is a team in our region, so it makes it even bigger. Especially after a loss like yesterday's"