Thompson relying on backs for regular season success

With Antwaan Randle El slated to spend about 75 percent of the snaps as a wide receiver this season, IU's running game will receive a huge makeover. \nThe backs will be taking mostly handoffs on isolations from drop-back passer Tommy Jones, rather than option pitches that became a vital component of the Randle El-led offense of the past three years, according to offensive coordinator Hal Hunter.\nWhile the backs did have their moments running between the tackles in the 2000 season, the main part of their success was caused by the massive attention towards stopping Antwaan Randle El -- who was on pace to be college football's all-time leading rusher for a quarterback -- on the triple and speed option.\nWithout that luxury of open space, a fleet of backs -- senior Levron Williams, junior Jeremi Johnson and sophomores Brian Lewis and Rashon Myles -- will have step up and help out.\nWilliams has had some moments both out of the backfield (on pace to accumulate 1,000 career receiving yards) and as Randle El's pitch man (back-to-back 800-yard seasons) during the last two years as the starting tailback. But he was called out by ESPN2 commentators Bill Curry and Mike Golic last season for not running with "authority" between the tackles. To retain his starting spot, Williams will need to run like he did at Illinois last season when he gained most of his 161 yards on inside runs, said Anthony Thompson, the running backs' coach. \n"I think one thing is that each and every year Levron has gotten mentally and physically tougher," Thompson said. "Now, is he where we need him to be? No. I don't think he's anywhere close to where we need him to be, but however, he's gotten better and better each and every year."\n"And I'd like to see him run with more authority than he ran with last year. He has shown some great things in terms of his running style, but I think with the offense that we're running and with the type of backs we need. We need to demand Levron to be more physical than he was last year." \nWilliams, up to 228 pounds from his freshman weight of 190, had a Red and White game in which he finished 8-34 rushing and 6-46 receiving. Without a clear-cut feature back, the Hoosiers will use a variety of combinations and formations to get production from their backs, said Thompson. \n"You can mix them up where we can use Levron as a running back-receiver," he said. "You like Jeremi Johnson to be your back that can run it inside and outside, and Brian Lewis gives a change of pace where he can use his quickness and be explosive and catch the ball for us." \nLewis, a compact 5-7, 197 pounder, followed up his freshman season of 67 carries for 373 yards with a productive Spring. His highlights included a 13-carry, 88-yard and one catch for 11 yards performance in the final spring scrimmage, and 10 carries for 54 yards in the Red and White game. While many of the backs will be utilized to keep everyone fresh, the coaching staff would like to have a back that they can count on every Saturday.\n"We're looking for a back to emerge where we can have this guy be the total package," Thompson said. "However, we don't have a guy at the tailback position that we can give the ball to 30-35 times a game. I don't know if Levron Williams can hold up. I don't know if Brian Lewis can hold up. One guy that I think that can hold up is Jeremi Johnson at the tailback position, but I don't know if he's disciplined enough to keep his weight down or dependable."\nJohnson, a highly rated prep fullback that turned down Florida State, has shown flashes of a Jerome Bettis-like running style with the blend of power and agility. He saw his playing time decreased last season because the success of De'Wayne Hogan. \n"Jeremi Johnson can be as good as he wants to be. Jeremi Johnson is one of the best backs we have," Thompson said. "He started off in January at I think 286. He's down now to 262. And I think he is a guy that can help this team get to the next level." \nJohnson received experience at both tailback and fullback in the spring. With his versatility, he is being considered a back for all situations. \n"We're not afraid to pitch the ball to Jeremi Johnson in option football," Thompson said. "He has all the attributes of a great back. He can run the ball, catch the ball and block. Now he has the potential. A lot of guys have the potential but he has to focus on really disciplining himself to be the best back he can be."\nAnother back that can play multiple positions is Rashon Myles. Myles had some nice physical runs last season in his role as reserve tailback. The 6-1, 218 pounder played mostly fullback in the Spring and scored on a 21 yard reception out of the backfield in the Red & White game. He also rushed three times for 20 yards in that game.\n"Rashon Myles has shown some explosiveness at times, but he's been sporadic in terms of his conditioning," Thompson said. "If I can get him conditioned and be a well-tuned athlete, He will be a good football player for us."\nNewcomers Dru Robinson, a tailback from junior college, and freshmen Jason Sullivan and Kyle Koester, will also compete for playing time. \n"Jason Sullivan and Kyle Koester. Those are two really good running backs who are big guys," Cam Cameron said in a press release. "They both were tailbacks (in high school), but one of those guys could very well fall into that fullback spot"