RecFest promises demonstrations, fun

Wall climb, trip to New York highlights freshmen festival

Freshmen focused on climbing staircases, luggage in tow, will have the chance to make a more leisurely ascent tonight.\nFollowing the Traditions and Spirit of IU at Assembly Hall, freshmen will follow the crowd to RecFest, starting at 6 p.m. in the North Fee Lane Fields. Once there, new students will be deluged with demonstrations, games, food and prizes, highlighted by a rock-climbing wall.\n"Once they leave Assembly Hall, they have no idea where they are going," said Chris Geary, assistant director of special events for the Division of Recreational Sports, noting the fields are hidden from view. "A lot of them just follow the crowd. And once they get there, and see all we have, they usually stay."\nAnd this year, alongside the oversized boxing, inflatable joust and other interactive games, RecSports teamed with Council Travel to give away a trip for two to New York City.\n"This year's RecFest is bigger and better," said Director of Marketing Kimberly Ruff. "The trip is a great way to get even more freshmen up there."\nGeary said he hopes the give-away increases the 1,500-2,000 freshmen who attend the two-hour festival. In order to be eligible for the trip, students must complete a "boarding card" at the Welcome Station or Council Travel Booth at RecFest. The prize drawing will take place at 8 p.m., and entrants must be present to win. \nThe New York City package includes air fare, accommodations and a sightseeing tour.\nBesides being a fun opportunity for freshmen spending their first weekend in Bloomington, RecFest is an chance for many of IU's club sports to provide demonstrations, and maybe attract some new members, Stacey Hall-Yannessa, assistant director of intramural and club sports said.\nThirty-five club teams will be on hand demonstrating everything from kick-boxing to equestrian. The water skiing club will feature its new powerboat and the equestrian team will have a horse on hand. The crew team will also show off its boat shells.\n"It's a great way for new students to meet members of the club and get the nitty-gritty details they need to know," Hall-Yannessa said.\nLast year, Hall-Yannessa said club sports received a lot of added membership because of their participation in RecFest. Also, RecFest allows club sports to simply get some basic recognition. This year, she expects nothing different.\n"A lot of people want to get involved early on," Hall-Yanessa said. "It's just a really great way to get these clubs out there and in people's mind."\nGeary knows RecFest is one of the best ways to get more people involved in one of the many programs RecSports offers.\n"RecFest showcases and promotes the different ways students can get involved at IU through recreational sports," Geary said. "Not only is this a wonderful opportunity for freshmen to connect with new friends, they will also have the chance to talk with our program staff and learn about our top class program and facilities, as well as employment opportunities"