Police crack down on parties

Party patrols enforce city noise ordinance without warnings

Phil Worthington can't rest without earplugs and a nightly sleeping pill.\nHe's so disturbed by the loud noise in his neighborhood that he's even insulated his walls.\n"I'm not going to invest in (my home) anymore," he said. "I'm eventually just going to have to move away."\nWorthington, who's lived in Bloomington for 16 years, experiences the same routine every year. IU students move back into town in the fall and blast loud music to the wee hours of the morning from their cars and rental houses.\nWith its "Quiet Nights" initiative, the city hopes to crack down on noise in the next few weeks and establish a tone of neighborly behavior. The city is paying the Bloomington Police Department $70,000 in overtime to beef up nightly neighborhood patrols. \n"We've got 30,000 new people in town all of sudden who may have forgotten about our noise ordinance," said BPD Capt. Mike Diekhoff. "We don't want to let it get out of hand, and we want to let people know what we're doing."\nFor years, police have stepped up enforcement of the noise ordinance at the beginning of the fall semester. In the case of raucous house parties, they issue $50 tickets to everyone on the lease regardless of whether they are at home at the time of the violation. It's a policy that many students say is unfair.\nThe fine is intended as a deterrent, Diekhoff said.\n"Obviously at any major university you have this situation," Diekhoff said. "And there are always going to be rowdy people who like to party. We're not asking them to knock it off. But we want to let them know what's acceptable."\nDiekhoff said the noise problem is pronounced in neighborhoods near campus, where students live among families and lifelong Bloomington residents. Students generally keep different hours and fail to realize when things are getting out of hand, he said. \n"It's a completely different lifestyle for a family of four," he said. "We're just asking for some consideration for people who live here year after year."\nDuring the initiative, officers drive around neighborhoods with their windows rolled down to listen for loud noise. When they suspect a violation, they log the address into the computer and return in 15 minutes. If the noise hasn't died down to an appropriate level, they issue a ticket.\nNo warning is necessary. It's considered a noise violation when music can be heard from a neighbor's property or a public place, such as a sidewalk.\nWith loud talking, officers can also arrest perpetrators for disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor that can carry up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. But they must first issue a warning in such cases.\nBloomington Mayor John Fernandez pushed for funding of the initiative last year. The city previously gave about $28,000 annually for the police department's "party patrols," which take place at the start of the school year and during weekends leading up the the Little 500.\n"The principle behind 'Quiet Nights' is simple," Fernandez said. "Part of being a good neighbor is not intruding on your neighbors' peaceful enjoyment of their own home. Basic civility includes not keeping your neighbors up at night."\nThe city's Housing and Neighborhood Development department is also spearheading an educational campaign. Sometime this week, the city will mail brochures concerning city ordinances to all off-campus students.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said University officials have been in talks with neighborhood associations about the upcoming review of the student code of ethics. The University might expand its disciplinary authority over off-campus students, he said. \n"They're very concerned about what they view as student-incurred disruptions," he said. "Most involve noise or alcohol"